ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possessed Mac, ArtRage, and Firefox

Possessed Mac, ArtRage, and Firefox

Hi mates, I had an issue, and much of it solved through the great help from the rage team, but I wanted to write to see if anyone else has been through this.

I had a message that it was time to upgrade my server. When I did I removed this program of firefox that zoomed in on everything-using their remover.
    When I did so, it ruined my artrage and corel.

I had a lot of help from the rage team, but still I am unable to upload any of my artwork to my personal gallery. It says file too big. It is on the default settings- I choose 800x600 and it is 72DPI. I don't know how to change it any smaller in the KB.

When I want to open my painting-I have to jump through circles to open it-unless it is a recent painting where I can open it through the software.

I had to totally uninstall my corel, couldn't even use it or adobe.

Anyone else have any suggestions-this is weird.

Sandy, I've never had a Mac, so I'm just stumbling in the dark here, but I'll ask a few questions pop up in my mind?
    1. What was the name of the Firefox extension that you uninstalled? And, did you do an uninstall or just disable?

2. Where did this message come from that "it was time to upgrade your server"?

3. You can post ok in the gallery, just not in your personal gallery?

4. I assume you are trying to post in jpg format?
    My Gallery:

http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/2939
    Deviant Art Gallery:

As a Mac user I do not understand the original message that you got about upgrading your server.
    Do you run off an external server and if so are all your programs stored there?
    Geoff

Mike and liimey, Thanks for responding-I have Hughesnet-because I live out from the city and that is all that is available if you use the internet for art or anything that uses a lot of GB's.
    I got a message from Firefox saying it was time to upgrade and I did. Then the coolray program was automatically there-maybe I missed an okay button and just clicked okay or something. It drives me crazy, so I went to top of the downloads of firefox and hit uninstall for that extension. Then it prompted a restart. Man-it really screwed up my art software programs.
    I only use JPEG, and can install the paintings on the gallery forum, but my personal artrage gallery it says it is over 50thousand something or other and too big. I tried downsizing the painting and it said it was still too big.
    If it weren't for the Rage team helping me I couldn't use AR at all.

Hi give us an example of the file size ( what it says about the file when you bring it up in finder ), that you are trying to upload to the forum and my second point is do you have a site where you place your paintings, like photobucket etc where you can supply a link to ?
    Geoff

Hi limey, sure. I just tried again. In my software program-the only change that I know how to change is the size. I never had this issue before I went through this with Firefox.
    When I tried to upload my painting is is 512 KB, and I don't know how to change this. The size is a 700x525 72 DPI.
    The message I receive is:
    The file that you have tried to attach is too big. The maximum size is 500000 bytes. I don't know how to change this. I tried making my painting smaller, but I still could not upload it to my personal gallery.
    Thanks!

Hi as I do not know what software program you use if you have something like photoshop or photoshop elements it gives you the option of saving for web rather than just a straight save your file size will come down quite a bit depending on what quality you save it at.
    Or if you have another site like I do where I save my images etc then you can just include a link to it in your message and then you are not stuck with a file size.
    On my imac I use safari so I have no idea if there are any changes in firefox that affect things being sent over the web.
    Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandra View Post
    Mike and liimey, Thanks for responding-I have Hughesnet-because I live out from the city and that is all that is available if you use the internet for art or anything that uses a lot of GB's.
    I got a message from Firefox saying it was time to upgrade and I did. Then the coolray program was automatically there-maybe I missed an okay button and just clicked okay or something. It drives me crazy, so I went to top of the downloads of firefox and hit uninstall for that extension. Then it prompted a restart. Man-it really screwed up my art software programs.
    I only use JPEG, and can install the paintings on the gallery forum, but my personal artrage gallery it says it is over 50thousand something or other and too big. I tried downsizing the painting and it said it was still too big.
    If it weren't for the Rage team helping me I couldn't use AR at all.
    Sandy,
    One of the really great things about Firefox is the vast number of extensions available to customize your browsing. The other side of the coin, is that when they make an upgrade to Firefox, because of the large amount of extensions involved, it's impossible to know for sure that the upgrade won't adversely affect one or more of them. I've found it best to wait a month after the upgrades become available before actually doing it. That allows time for problems to get worked out prior to your upgrade.
    Firefox in itself really should not have anything to do with your problem. Just to be sure - download another browser like Opera, and try to post in your gallery with it and see what happens. At least it will show you whether or not it's browser related.
    Altho I'm not familiar with this extension that you uninstalled, I suspect it performs a function of reducing the quality of your image to keep it smaller in size, but that's just a guess. If you can find that extension again - why not reinstall it, and see what happens?
    If all else fails:
    1. See if you can find a graphics program that works on a Mac, that will allow you to adjust the quality downward. That will reduce your file size.
    2. As Limey said, post your image somewhere else, like DA, or Photobucket, then just post the link in your personal gallery.

Just throwing some ideas out there.
    My Gallery:

http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/2939
    Deviant Art Gallery:

Sandy, have you tried to open your painting again in AR and edit canvas in crop/or expand canvas, click on print size and try that, mine was to big for the gallery and thats what I did....hope it works for you....Pat

Firefox wouldn't really have much to do with exceeding the file upload size.

try out a free image editor or photoshop elements to convert your exported ping files to jpg.
    I use XnView which is a very cool image editing program and I believe they also have a mac version now and it is free... I love it. even though I am now a pc user.

http://www.xnview.com/en/index.html

when you export from there it shows you how a slight reduction in quality of the jpg file... (more compressed,) reduces the size of the file and gets you under the maximum file size for upload. you just click on the down arrow until it falls within the size requirement for jpgs. I guess max size for upload is 500 k. for jpg or png files. it is 488.3 in the regular gallery.

Firefox is no longer compatible with OS X.4.11 so hopefully that is not your problem. Firefox also recommends an intel mac now. you okay with that?
    it left me out of the Firefox market... at least on my old mac.
    Last edited by screenpainter; 04-23-2011 at 08:07 AM.