ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: resize and crop

resize and crop

How do I" crop" a finished painting in artrage? I want to resize it for print.

That will depend on the version of ArtRage you use. The last method I explain is my favorite way doing this, but it uses the Crop to Selection feature. ArtRage Studio Pro has it, of course, but I'm not sure if it's in the Regular version of Studio.
    ArtRage 2.6:
    1 - Open the image you wish to crop.

2 - Click on Edit and select Resize the Canvas.

3 - You should now have the Change Canvas Size panel open, displaying a small preview of your image in the box at the bottom. Change the width and height of your image by inputting the sizes you want within the text boxes and hitting enter (be sure to turn off the Keep Original Painting Aspect option, if you wish to change the width and height independently). When you change a size, the preview box will adjust itself to match your new image sizes. You may then drag the image preview around within the new window dimensions to align it the way you would like it (clicking the small gray arrow will give you some other alignment options as well). Click OK when you are done.
    ArtRage Studio: (Note: This works just like the steps above, but the panels are named differently in AR3)

2 - Click on Edit and select Crop/Expand the Canvas.

3 - You should now have the Crop/Expand the Canvas panel open, displaying a small preview of your image in the box at the bottom. Change the width and height of your image by inputting the sizes you want within the text boxes and hitting enter (be sure to turn off the Keep Original Painting Aspect option, if you wish to change the width and height independently). When you change a size, the preview box will adjust itself to match your new image sizes. You may then drag the image preview around within the new window dimensions to align it the way you would like it (clicking the small gray arrow will give you some other alignment options as well). Click OK when you are done.
    ArtRage Studio Pro: (Note: If AR Studio has the Crop to Selection feature, then you're good to go with this method, as well. If not, you'll have to use the Method I listed above).

2 - Select the Selection tool from the tool panel.

3 - Open the Settings panel and click on the Reset button, to set the tool to it's default settings.

4 - Use the mouse/pen to make a selection box around the area of the image you wish to crop the canvas to.
    You may use the different Modes on the settings panel to Add or Subtract from the selection area, if you need to.
    ◘ Shortcuts for this is Shift + Left Click Drag, to add area to the selection, and Alt + Left Click Drag, to subtract from the selection.
    5 - When you're happy with your selected area, click on Edit, and select the Crop to Selection option. This should cut away the excess area of your canvas.
    Last edited by Someonesane; 04-19-2011 at 12:45 PM.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Thanks so much Someonesane. I have been wondering how to do this myself and have been having to use a different program to do this which was a big hassle. You just made my life a little easier

You can also find additional information on resizing and cropping here:

ArtRage Studio Pro: Page page 74 and 75 of the Studio Pro manual under 'Cropping / Expanding'.

ArtRage Studio:
    Page 68 / 69 of the Studio Manual under 'Cropping / Expanding'

ArtRage 2:
    Page 48 / 49 under 'Resizing and Rescaling your work'.

We used different language to describe this in ArtRage 2 but the ability to crop exists in all versions, with Studio and Studio Pro having the additional ability to crop to selection as Someonesane mentioned.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design