ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Does Tracing continually update the brush colour?

Does Tracing continually update the brush colour?

Hi

I'm new to ArtRage and am trying out v2.6 Starter edition with a view to possibly upgrading to v3.

A question about Tracing - it seems to pick up the colour where the stroke began (i.e. where the mouse was clicked), and then keep that colour for the entire stroke (i.e. while the mouse button is held down) regardless of the change in underlying colour along the path of the stroke.

Is there a way to get ArtRage to continually update the brush colour to reflect the colour of the original image, or is it "first colour only"?

How does this work in v3?

Thanks in advance
    Richard

If it was a continuous process, I guess the result would be very similar to a copy. You can import an image into a layer and blur the layer for a result similar to what you may have in mind.
    It's not about how many breaths you take; it's about the moments that take your breath away.

I suspect the end result is very different to copy.

By simply copying you have no brushstrokes, no variation, no opportunity to apply different brushes to different parts of the image etc etc.

I am hoping to build up the painted image using brushstrokes, not simply produce a blurred copy of the original.

Thanks
    Richard

It depends on the tool being used. For example, and as you've discovered, if you start a tracing and use the Oil Brush tool to make a stroke, only the initial color will be chosen. This color will remain the base color, until one lifts the pen (or mouse button). However, tools such as the Glitter and Sticker Spray (Sticker Spray being an ArtRage 3 tool) apply points of paint to the canvas, rather then a single stroke, even while you're dragging the mouse or pen. This means, that the colors are updated on a point by point basis for these tools. In the case of Sticker Spray tools, with the right "brush" head in use, one might get a result closer to an artist brush stroke, while still continuously picking up the tracing colors. The following example displays the same apple image, recreated using a number of my different Sticker Sprays (one sticker per image), with the exception of the bottom right apple, which was done with the Glitter tool.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	apple_wsticker.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	146.4 KB 
ID:	54832

(EDIT) - Forgot to put the following image in the example image above, so I've added it here as a close up example:

Name:  apple_wsticker3.jpg
Views: 2077
Size:  66.1 KB
    Last edited by Someonesane; 04-16-2011 at 03:12 AM.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

I do this sometimes in my paintings. Especially where the area to be covered is large (like grass or sky). Or sometimes as a background for other things, such as trees, so that when I add sticker sprays, patches of white don't show through.

I use AR Studio Pro, and I've found that the pencil, watercolour, oil, and such give you the colour you clicked on for the entire stroke. Other things, like glitter, copy the colours as they are in the picture. Basically, you get an exact copy of the trace photo.

Very helpful, thanks!

Perhaps this use of the tracing should be called cloning not tracing