ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: pixels

pixels

Please. Just one tool that controls the pixels, ignoring for a moment that it's "paint". Please. A plain old smudge tool. So I don't have to reopen the painting in other graphics programs over and over to tweak it.

Call me a philistine, if you will, but that one missing tool keeps ArtRage from being my primary graphics program.

Call me ignorant, but what is the difference between what you request, and AR's smudge and smear presets under the knife tool?
    It's not about how many breaths you take; it's about the moments that take your breath away.

I know what you mean, nothing compares to smudging in photoshop especially with the wide selection of brushes available.
    Geoff

Yeah, I figure the AR brush engines might not leave enough space for a photoshop-like brush set-up. I don't know. I guess I wouldn't mind so much if there was a dry oil brush that did this without pulling colors out that I don't want. Often, I just can't get the oil brushes to do what I want them to do--stuff that I know I could easily do with a real oil brush. I end up using the watercolor tools to compensate when I really don't want to. But if I had a smudge brush that could be customized to various brush heads and levels of smudge I'd be perfectly content. Maybe if there was a good wet oil brush that streaked the paint through the thinner. It's really a problem for me with the way I use layers.

Naturally, I use the knife tool when I can (and it works fine when I just want to paint thick oil on one layer) but I find controlling the effects to be very difficult. I don't generally want to blur or squish the paint, I just want to push it *precisely* on the pixel level.

Thanks for the insight. While I am not familiar with PS, I begin to understand your issue.
    I certainly agree the oil brush has lots of room for improvement.
    It's not about how many breaths you take; it's about the moments that take your breath away.