ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boudicca

1. Boudicca

Been an insanely busy month, and it's been forever since I've been able to get back this way ... but here's one of the items I've been working on.

11x14 ArtRage Studio Pro

This painting, I had best explain a bit. I was intrigued by descriptions of Queen Boudicca, in that they stated she was a formidably-sized woman with sharp features, a harsh voice and "tawny" hair. I must admit, she sounds like she'd have been quite the catch in that day, capable of bearing strong children, and in fact, the historian Tacitus commented that women of that era was roughly as fearsome of a warrior class as their husbands were.

So, I thought to myself, why not paint a representation painting of Boudicca? Represent what she must have been feeling when these things happened to her in the last months of her life.

I selected a stream as a scene in my mind, and there, I thought, is where Boudicca would go to shed herself of the conflict, the anguish, the dishonor, and indeed the anger that befell her at the hands of the Romans who stole a widow's lands, inheritance, then flogged her and raped her daughters, and cast all of her family out in the cold.

Put flatly, she was pissed, and she had every right to be.

Some of you that pay close attention to my work know that there isn't anything in any painting I do that is happenstance. If it has detail, it has it for a reason. If it lacks color, it lacks it for a reason. Such is the case with Boudicca. So let me give you the guided tour.

First, she's nude. Not clothes, no torc, no gown, no tunic, no spear, nothing. None of her famous trappings except for her hair, and her size. In this place, densely packed with vines, and with an ability to be vulnerable, we see her for what she is. Strong, powerful, yet graceful and every bit a woman. The muscles of her back are colored because her passion lies there. It's where she shoulders her burdens. Her womb, however, is dull and gray, as is her one breast. Innocence and joy in her children are gone, and that is a heavy price to have taken from you. Her hair, flowing, and weighty, is like a burdensome mantle, which leadership in a revolution certainly would be.

She is reaching down to touch the water she is wanting to step into. She's touching on something, and hoping that it comes true. Peace, tranquility, equity. The ripples of which break against a stone, and while the stone breaks the water's movement, surely the ripples she set into motion wore the rock enough that it gave way eventually.

The foliage in the foreground is the fertile soil which her revolution grew within. The Britons, at the time, were by most reports, fine with taxation and tributes. What they were not fine with, however, was slavery and mistreatment. And it was that very soil in which the Roman government planted the seeds themselves for the revolution when they confiscated her lands, raped her daughters and reduced her kingdom to a province.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Boudicca.jpg 
Views:	4921 
Size:	466.3 KB 
ID:	54761  

Awesome! I love the details and the style of your painting! Wow!

A great study! From the statues etc., I never envisioned her as being this lovely!
    The only problem with humor is that no one takes it seriously.

Fantastic painting on a major historical episode of ancient Britannia.
    Even being Caesar I feel sympathetic with this unlucky queen for what she and her population had to stand. Really terrible. In those times women weren't supposed to inherit a realm according to the rules Romans set with local people.
    Anyway the good point is that Romans wrote about her and her deeds and treatment at least, even if she was a defeated enemy. Considering that quite often winners re-write history uncorrectly and even erase deeds they feel uncomfortable with, there's at least a sort of tribute to her value.
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Very nice indeed, love the red hair and the body structure.
    Geoff

Oh wow, I love this. She has always been such a heroin of mine. I remember having read about this woman warrior, and her reason for defeat in the end was due to lack of strategic planning. The Roman army and its commander during their last war was an outstanding leader and their triangle formation and fighting was brilliant-sadly the Celts didn't have this method. I often wonder having celtic roots what it would have been like to have not had their "ways" destroyed and so much knowledge lost. To me, it would have been great if she and her people had won. I love your painting Art, and find it a brilliant tribute to such a deserving Queen.

A wonderful depiction of a strong and beautiful woman altho in my minds eye I imagined her along with Queen Isabella of Spain as much bigger but then perhaps it was their personality's that I was imagining

I see a imprint of a foot on her back, could be the stamp of oppression but notheless a fine painting of a fellow country woman. Well done
    Sometimes...I remember better with my eyes closed

My Gallery
    http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/6307

Splendid depiction of a great woman.
    My Gallery:

http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/2939
    Deviant Art Gallery:

Hmm... abused woman? But a fine painting indeed.