ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Wounded Knee Massacre

Wounded Knee Massacre

Anyone care to count the number of times this type of event shows up in our history? Anyone wonder why?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by P. D. Dinkles; 04-13-2011 at 09:26 PM.
    P.D. Dinkles
    El Jefe Bombero (jubilado)

If by 'our history' you mean the history of Man, it's true.

The way I see it, it all started with the inherent need of life to feed on life. In my endless optimism, I take it to be that this Life jazz has been staged to see if we can use these brains and hearts and rise above that endless need for that kind of conflict. We do get close.

But then again there's Wounded Knee and that kind of thing. Strong picture you made. I like the tepee and fire image. I think it states visually your theme very well.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Very nice job capturing this horrible event.
    A lot of people think that Wounded Knee was just something that happened on the spur of the moment. Truth is, the Massacre was an act of revenge for Custer's defeat at the Little Big Horn. White America had risen up in outrage and demanded a victory over the Red Man to avenge Custer's loss.
    As a result. the troops sent to Wounded Knee were Custer's old outfit - the 7th Calvary. For killing women, children and old men, our government awarded SEVENTEEN MEDALS OF HONOR to members of the 7th Calvary. A disgusting and shameful use our our nation's highest honor.
    My Gallery:

http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/2939
    Deviant Art Gallery:

Barn., I agree with you on the assesment of the 7th Calvery. The bloodshed and genocide of the natives are simply incredible. However, how many young people nowadays remember this part of history?

Genocide is repeated in the current time in Eastern Europe, Africa,etc. It seems that we all can share, but this is just a dream in our lifetime perhaps.

Good capture of painting on such a shameful bloodshed.

Moving and eye catching painting made all the more powerful because of what it represents. I like the technique and colouring you chose. I knew nothing of the massacre before looking at your painting. It's certainly a sad topic to reflect upon.

From my pessimistic perspective, killing (or the threat to kill) seems to be our natural and instinctive way of resolving certain human incompatibilities. Judging by the multi-billion $ military spending, it's not likely to change. Governments and leaders just don't seem to be able to change their way of thinking, or willing to invest equivalent amounts into diplomatic solutions. When the circumstances for war arise, off we go again, more killing of innocent people and children, simply written off as collateral damage.
    Good planets are hard to find - help look after ours.

The painting is so terribly evocative of a unjustifiedly bloody event. One of horrible red grains i the historical chain and not the only one.
    Anyway people lose awareness of what being human, keep human means, anytime ideologies, religious follies, brain washings don't let recognize other people as eqully human, our own reflection ... we beat repetitively on our collective drums and, like chimpanzees gone made, we believe to be superior men and become able of the worst of the deeds and slaughters.
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

We share in ideas. Your observations were poignant.

I won't get into them as the length of my discussion would put you to sleep. Just to say we killed more people in the 20th century than ever before.
    P.D. Dinkles
    El Jefe Bombero (jubilado)

Highly evocative! So hard to understand the tensions that always seem to be present. "Hope springs eternal," as Alexander Pope wrote. But sometimes it seems like something that never comes to fruition. We all muddle on. Again, a fine piece!

(As a side note. you mentioned the 20th century. I just bought an excellent app for the iPad called "The Civil War Today." Its an ambitious project that will walk us through each day of the civil war on the day it actually happened 150 years ago. I think such carnage is a part of being human, or inhuman.)
    Last edited by ScottF; 04-17-2011 at 08:47 AM.
    The only problem with humor is that no one takes it seriously.