Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First WIP, it's a coffee mill

Gallery
    View images

First WIP, it's a coffee mill

I'm re-starting pen drawing from level 0, so I bought the 3 first books of the "Leonardo Collection". Those are great books in my opinion, and they help me progressing faster.

I choose the coffee mill reference image from book 1, page 12. I love coffee, and my Grand Mother used to use a coffee mill every morning when I was on vacation in her home in my tender youth. I guess this reminds me great and warm moments.

Please, don't hesitate to comment to help me correct mistakes or make adjustments to this Work In Progress.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Old

Gallery
    View images
    I think that's looking really good so far, very precise looking lines. One thing I did notice, the curve on the lower edge of the cup appears a little flat to me, given the perspective, but that's about it! Nice stuff.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Gallery
    View images
    The advantage of a flat screen style grid is usually for transferring -- where you have one on the original and a corresponding one on your paper. Gives you a bunch of landmarks to compare and break a complex image into simpler cubes as you draw it on the paper.

There is another case for putting the grid between you and the model and you do it with a 3 dimensional image what the above instance does with two dimensional image. It basically turns it flat so it's easier to copy. They used that back in Leonardo's time. Not a lot of use these days though, with cameras, projectors, printing and computer scanners and all that.

There's a different type of grid you may want to consider plotting from scratch or using one that is already made -- one that is really rooted in perspective -- a perspective grid, where you have a template for vanishing points and horizon lines and such. These are projected lines aiming at vanishing points creating guides over which you build your objects.

They can show squares in perspective which is valuable for a lot of different reasons, not least of which is to plot elipses (circles and such that are drawn in perspective). That would have helped your perspective circles at the base of the handle on the grinder, and the top and bottom of that thing that's shaped like a giant cork. Elipses can make or break a picture, and are usually the part that gives artists trouble.

Before computers, architectural renderers and their ilk and mechanical designers used these grids I'm mentioning so they would shortcut having to plot the perspective every drawing. But their end was usually to show visual mock ups of certain things they would be building, so the client could visualize it before they would invest in building. It's useful to know this stuff if you're going to be getting into realism though.

I can tell you have an analytical mind. You'll master this in no time.
    It's good to know. And hopefully you'll develop your eye so you have to rely on it less and less. All depends on what you like to do -- mechanical stuff or loose.

Great start!

Gallery
    View images
    Hey Oldlink, that looks pretty good in my book. You improved on the original in regards the shading of the cup. Don't fret too much over geometry, a brave man to show the picture it was drawn from, as it's easier to spot the difference. After all, who criticised Salvador Dali for his geometry :lol: He did the worst pocket watch I have ever seen.
    Joules

Gallery
    View images
    Dave, thanks for your good eyes. I must have watched at my drawing for too long that I did not spot it. I'll correct it (this weekend I hope).

D Akey, thanks for your advices. Book 5 of the Leonardo collection is all about perspectives, so I guess I'll come to it in a few months. I agree with you that good perspectives make great drawings (I'll take all grid types examples that you might have). I'll work on that for sure.

Joules, thanks for your encouragements and kind words.

If Christmass and my kids don't eat all my time, I should be able to progress this drawing pretty fast now. Will post it here.
    Old

Gallery
    View images

Question for OldLink?

would like to know how you put that grid there, probably won't check back till after Christmas, but, did you scan it to your computer and then import it and trace on top of it? thank you,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,ps, enjoy you kids !!!

Gallery
    View images
    Oh, it's just a grid that I drew with Inkscape. I overlap it on the image reference with Photoshop and also put it as background in ArtRage.

This helps a lot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grille_horizontale_782.png 
Views:	10431 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	4497  

Old

Gallery
    View images
    i like pencil sketches, thsi is a good one,
    keep going
    Enchanter
    Draw what you see!....not what you think you see!!
    My artist friend

We Must each think of ourselves as an endless work in progress ....Harley Brown

Gallery
    View images
    Thank you enchanter! I'll finish it.
    Old

Gallery
    View images
    Ok, I think I'm done with this drawing.
    Please comment before I post it in the Gallery.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Old