ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Brightness completely different after export

Brightness completely different after export

Not sure how to explain this...

I have an HP L2105tm monitor. Then just a regular monitor as my secondary. I'm using ArtRage Studio Pro.
    I paint using my touch screen and everything looks great. Just how I want it.
    But when I export the image and then look at it with any other program it looks like hell.
    You can see all the lines from the palette knife. Places that were completely dark/black now have drag marks all through it. It's like the places that are supposed to be dark are completely brightened and visible.
    It's not quite as bad when I look at it on my other monitor but it's not like it should be.

The first thing you would think it my monitor is too bright. But if that was the case then it would look like that as I was painting.
    and I already have the brightness and contrast set to how it should be.

Does anyone know what is going on? I'm very frustrated.
    Hope this makes sense..
    Thanks

-Scott

I've attached the file here.
    But.. when I click on the file to view it on here it looks fine. It looks the way it's supposed to. What the hell?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

This is so frustrating........
    It only looks looks like this on here and in ArtRage.
    How can I order prints of this? I can't trust how it's going to look...
    Last edited by ukoa; 04-09-2011 at 02:59 PM.

It sounds like something I've run into before, which was caused by the 3d light rendering. The following steps might fix it:
    1 - Open the finished .ptg file in ArtRage.

2 - Turn off the light rendering:
    If you're using AR2.6, do this by hitting the F5 key on your keyboard (it's an undocumented feature).

If you're using AR3, do this by opening the Canvas Panel (View > Canvas Settings), and clicking the Light Bulb Icon so that it looks off (the little light lines will vanish).
    3 - Export the image as a .PNG.

4 - Now import that PNG image as a new layer. Be sure it is the topmost layer on the layer stack, so that it covers all the others.

5 - Turn the Light Rendering back on using the options from step 2.

6 - Now export the image as you did when you discovered the issue.
    Does the final exported image look as expected in the other programs and image viewers?
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Thank you so much! It worked!
    Pain in the butt but it works.

You rock man, can't thank you enough

-Scott

If it looks fine in everything except another external app, that app is likely doing color management and gamma correcting. Turn colour management off in your external app and it should look as it was intended in ArtRage.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

That's good to know but I don't want to just hide the problem on my computer. I need it fixed so it looks the same for every one else. And I can be sure what the prints will look like.

Thanks

The colour management system in your print package will definitely help adjust the final look for print. If you have calibrated your monitor to your printer gamma then you should be able to adjust the final image in your print package until it suits. ArtRage doesn't do colour management itself so you will almost certainly see some difference depending on how the monitor is calibrated.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.