ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: comic book art

comic book art

Would like to use Art Rage Pro to "ink" a comic book project I've sketched out. I saw a Youtube video where someone using the software was doing just that and it looked like it was working great with thick and thin tapered ink lines but I couldn't tell (because of the resolution of the video) what ink pen he was using and the settings for it. Can anyone advise which of the ink pen presets is the best one and the ideal settings to use?

Am a new user so any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hi Bot, and welcome to the ArtRage forums.

I might increase the smoothing when I'm having trouble drawing a curved line, or increase the taper if I really need a nice point at the end of a line. For the most, though, I basically just use the default settings when it comes to using the Ink Pen.

Sometimes I go back to using the Felt Pen, which I used back when I used ArtRage 2.6. It creates a nice, sort of rustic looking line, which I sometimes like better. The settings I use, are posted below.
    (Note: For those of you using AR3, here is the preset for these settings: Inking Pen.prs. Remember, this preset is for the Felt Pen, not the Ink Pen).
    Pressure: 50%
    Softness: 100%
    Wetness: 50%
    Art Pen: Off
    Size for the tool: 12%
    Here are some images I inked using the Ink Pen and Felt Pen (I noted which tool I used for each).

Ink Pen:

Felt Pen:

(Note: While I both drew and inked all of the images above, the pencil work for the following image was done by ArtRage member Flynn_the_Cat, and originally posted in this thread. I used the Felt Pen to ink it.

Last edited by Someonesane; 04-09-2011 at 01:05 PM.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Someonesane,

Thanks for your response. Love your illustrations. Nice work! One question I have is which of the 10 ink pen presets did you use? I'm assuming either the "Smoothed inking" or "round & smooth" would be the ones to go with and then play around with the smoothing and tapering adjustments.

One of the things I don't like about the "smoothing" option is how it "moves" your line around after you've finished the stroke. I'm used to drawing the line and it remaining exactly how I've drawn it with programs like Photoshop or Corel Painter which are the main ones I've used over the years. I'm a newbie to Art Rage, obviously (as if ya couldn't tell...). Maybe I'll leave a little bit of smoothing on. It does make the line a bit more graceful and clean.

Thanks again for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Bot View Post
    Thanks for your response. Love your illustrations. Nice work!

Thanks

One question I have is which of the 10 ink pen presets did you use? I'm assuming either the "Smoothed inking" or "round & smooth" would be the ones to go with and then play around with the smoothing and tapering adjustments.

I like to start off with the default settings for the Ink Pen. The program doesn't come with a Preset for this, but you can reset the settings for it by selecting the Ink Pen, opening up the Settings panel, and then clicking on the "Reset" tab at the bottom. However, if you'd like a preset to the default settings, you can use this one: Default Ink Pen.prs.

One of the things I don't like about the "smoothing" option is how it "moves" your line around after you've finished the stroke. I'm used to drawing the line and it remaining exactly how I've drawn it with programs like Photoshop or Corel Painter which are the main ones I've used over the years. I'm a newbie to Art Rage, obviously (as if ya couldn't tell...). Maybe I'll leave a little bit of smoothing on. It does make the line a bit more graceful and clean.

Yeah, the smoothing feature can take some getting used to. Using the default settings for the tool, the smoothing is set to 10%, which usually works pretty well for me. But if I ever feel it's getting in the way, I just turn it to 0%. Or... As I mentioned in my previous post, I might turn to the Felt Pen if I'd like a more rugged line.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.