ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Daughter Sketch

Daughter Sketch

First portrait try using bamboo pen tablet. Thanks to Cihan's tutorial on how to do hair I think I did an okay first try. However I do not like how the face turned out. I couldn't get the nose quite right. Any tips would be helpful. Thanks,
    Hannah
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Loganface2.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	88.3 KB 
ID:	54568  

For the nose...you put a dark spot on the tip of the nose and the tip of a nose is always a more ligth tone to show there is somthing that points uot instead of dark tone that something is lying deeper.

The skintone is too dark compared to the haircolor...and too many spots are shown there. You caqn try a knife to blur or the eraser with very low pressure set.

Also the "lower" cheek is not good, it looks like an thick bump... The "upper" eye has no pupil and the lower eye does....

The hair...hmmm....you do not need to draw every hair there is...you can if you like that but it is not a must.....

The shadowing is what you need to pay some more attention to but for a first try I think it looks very good though. I do not remember my first try because I was about 8 years old but I can assure you that it looked very very bad.....

Vanity,
    Thanks for all the great tips and I will certainly use this great information. I am going to totally redo the face and I will post again if I think it turned out any better.
    Hannah

Please do not redo the whole face because then you can not see the changes you made....and see if it is good or not....and you are on the right track with this. I'll show you......I made some small changes to your drawing so you can see what I mean.....compare and try this yourself....

Name:	logan.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	88.3 KB 
ID:	54569  

I want to thank you for taking the time to help me Vanity. It meant a lot to me that you would use your time to help me. I used your advice and re-worked some things. Still having trouble with the nose though. I think it is maybe too far to the right. Also need to work on the lips. Part of the problem was that the photo I was using for a reference was too dark and shadowy and I was trying to follow that. The other problem is that I am just not good at drawing people and fine details Anyways here's what I did. again thank you Vanity.
    Hannah

Name:	secondtry.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	54585  

that is soooooooooo awesome!!!..
    very well done.
    I'm only learning AR at the mo, but OMG the mind boggles with wild untamed thoughts ofwhat you can create in this programe... it's awesome!!!
    I just got to get used to the tools first lol... gosh it's like a mega playground in that toolbox lol.. have only figured out a few of them lol...

Hannah, did you trace this picture in ArtrRage or are you doing it from scratch ? If you are learning I would use the tracefunction so you can concentrate on the shadowing a.s.o......
    But the lips look much better now, the eyes...does she have light colored eyes ? ( I do not know what Logan looks like i.r.l.)

The hair is more natural .....the nose is better but not quite right.... the skin and the cheeks look better.....The nose looks indeed like it is a little bit to the right...

People are indeed hard to draw, especially when you know them very well... My first portrait that looked like a real human being was of a very young George Michael......and after that Michael Jackson haha......probably nobody recognizes them....but it took me years of practising, and I did trace them too in the beginning....held my paper against the window.....I had to learn it one way or the other....

but what you are doing is far better then when I started doing portraits...

What tool did you use to make this ? Only one or did you combine tools ?

In Artrage I would start giving the whole face a very light grey color and then look for the lighter areas and the darker area's and put them in.
    If I do this on real paper I start with the darker area's and smear them with my vingerstips and use a very soft eraser to get highlights back.

but you are doing great ! Because it is really difficult to do....

Vanity,
    This is the first time I've done a portrait on Artrage but I have done them by hand in the past but that was about 20 years ago in high school bot I feel old I have been trying to remember what my art teacher said about drawing the face. I know there are little tricks to it. I did do a rough trace with the tracing funcgtion but then did the rest freehand. Thanks for the compliments and yes they are hard! I thought I was going to just be able to do one right after the other like in high school. Ha! Anyways i am going to work on this more today and i'll post my results. I got so frustrated yesterdya though I had to just walk away. Thanks again for all the help much appreciated.
    Hannah

Also does anyone know of a way to move the nose slightly to the right without having to erase and start all over?

I meant to the left