ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Resizing w/out losing quality?

Resizing w/out losing quality?

Hey Everyone

Today I got my touch screen monitor! I'm having a blast painting with Artrage Studio Pro.
    I have my dimensions set at 4000x3200 at 200 pixels per inch.
    That prints out to a 20x16.
    But, that makes the tools pretty small to work with with.

Is it possible to start out with a smaller image then blow it up when I'm done or would that kill it and be pixelated?
    I would leave the ppi at 200 but maybe work on a 1024x768 canvas.

Thanks
    -Scott

The only way I know to do this would be to use Photoshop and commercial filters that allow resizing...

http://www.ononesoftware.com/product...FcPd4AodWDCxDQ

Thanks
    I did discover last night just before going to bed that you can hold down the shift key and drag the size of any tool larger than 100%.
    That helps a lot! Slow the whole process down but it works.

this is interesting, I paint in artrage using a smaller pixel ; 600x700 then when I finish i resize it and make it larger ; such as 10,000 x 4,000. this is for the purpose of uploading to my website for printing different sizes. I never though If I was loosing quality of the painting. Am I ? I also know that when I try to paint with the print quality pixels I have the same problem you had with my tools shrinking.

Hi Netta...

The answer is YES.

You lose tons of quality blowing your picture up.

ArtRage creates pixel-based pictures. When you create a pic that is 600x700 pixels in size, that's it. In real terms, that's ULTRA low res. You should be painting at around 1800x2200 pixels AT LEAST.

As Kenmo said in an earlier response, you can only blow things up using commercial software. And even that doesn't work brilliantly. The more pixels you have to work with, the better your picture is. And the more efficiently a blow-up process will work.

You REALLLLLY need to work bigger.

One trick for making the tools bigger than 100% is for you to type in a numerical value in the resizing box. It goes up to 400%, if memory serves. (If you're using a slow computer, this will cause trouble for you. Cos a 400% tool places great strain on the system's resources. But if you've got a modern computer, no hassles.

All the best.
    ROY BLUMENTHAL

Visual Facilitator: http://royblumenthal.com/portfolio

ArtRage 3.5.5 and 4.0.4 on:
    Fujitsu T901, Asus R1E

tip: holding down the shift key then clicking and dragging the tool cursor will change the tool size beyond the limits up to the 500% tool size and back again without any typing.

This is exactly the reason I would like to see some kind of HD mode built into the program. One that would let you initially work at 600x800 but then allow you to view the HD Pixels at whatever resolution you wanted to work on the finer details.

Because eve. When someone has a more modern computer, one that might be able to handle the higher resolution file at startup the files get slower as you continue to add references, stencils, layers, and filters to the project. I can imagine that even a 1028x1028 file would be hard to handle for a very nice computer under those circumstances.

It would be helpful to have a way to switch back and forth from macro to micro. It could be as simple as adding some brushes that are 100% but are 100's of pixels wide already. Dunno.

Good luck though. You'll have to let us know if any of the programs mentioned by the link from kenmo work.