ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: why?

why?

Dear Artrage helpers,,, why can't i blend two colors in the center of the colors but only on the edge of the colors using the pallet knife?, tried other presets but no go,,, thank you!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Lee, could you open your settings palette and show which palette knife you are using and what settings you are using with the palette knife? what color did you have on top the yellow before blending? are you using real color blending?
    Last edited by screenpainter; 04-06-2011 at 09:08 PM.

Dear GZ, Thank you,,, yes, i will do that as was thinking surely there is something i am missing, will let you know!!!

Dear GZ, thank you,,,,,tried the roller and the paint brush, no change, just can't seem to blend the colors in the middle of the colors but will blend on the sides, am pretty sure was using real color blending,,,,,hope you can see my settings, was just a question from another member in 'Suggestion' and Donna Duberry style that started me wondering,,,

As well as ArtRage comes to imitating true medias, it's still limited in certain aspects. The program only considers the colors that are presently visible. Meaning, if a person paints over another color, the paint cannot be scraped off the top afterward, and expect the other color to appear beneath it (unless the other color was painted on it's own layer). As far as the program is concerned, once you've painted over an area, the new color is the only color in that area. This same understanding applies to using the palette knife. In real life, if you were paint over another color (that was still somewhat wet) you'd likely be able to start to pull and mix the covered color with the color that was painted over it. In ArtRage, since the color that was covered is considered lost, trying to use a blending tool over it will only result in pushing around the visible color.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Dear Someonesane, Thank You very much, that certainly makes sense to me now, when i paint over the yellow with purple, the yellow is gone, in a way sort of magical, would be nice to think so,,wonder if the ability to blend more than one color layer will be a feature in the future for ArtRage,, thanks again for your help!!! xox

Well, you can blend them. You just have to switch back to the other color, to add it in there.

Looking at your screen shots, though, it looks like you're using the insta-dry feature when you're making the crisscrossed marks. That feature is designed to keep colors from blending, so it's kind of counter productive for getting the two colors to mix. Dried paint doesn't mix into wet paint, unless the dried paint gets so saturated, it begins to break/bleed into the wet paint.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Dear Someonesane, Thank You!, will try changing the settings, can't hurt!

Dear Someonesane, wanted to let you know, not sure if folowed your advise exactly but did change some settings and chose two random colors and do i see a Donna Duberry effect there ?, when i painted over the green with the purple, two colors seemed to cling to the brush,,, pretty neat effect, what? back to more experimenting,,,

Lee, I didn't know you were trying to get through the dried paint.

Do you have that roller preset called creamy blend? I think you will get a nice mixing effect from using that one.

it goes inside your roller presets folder if you don't already have it.
    Attached Files Attached Files