ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Using ArtRage to Improve Existing Paintings

Using ArtRage to Improve Existing Paintings

I'm sure others must have used ArtRage for this purpose before, but it just came to me while I was preparing to make some revisions to an acrylic painting that I had shelved (2 plus years). Why just dig in and start slinging new paint at a work that you're not quite happy with when you can work the problems out in ArtRage first without the fear of making things much, much worse?

I had semi-completed this acrylic on canvasboard painting a couple of years ago, but never felt really happy with it and I kept working things over and discarding revisions without ever working up the enthusiasm to start repainting and perhaps totaling it.

ArtRage to the rescue. I had taken a photo of it, so I saved that as a .psd in Photoshop and imported it as a layer in a new ArtRage painting. I had created the .ptg with a canvas texture so that any new areas of paint that I added would not be smooth and contrast with the texture of the paint on the canvasboard. Now I'm free to paint on a new layer and try out any changes I want to make without worry. Here's where I'm at now and I'm ready to get out the paint and brushes and commit it to canvas.

ArRage would be worth the price to me for this funtion alone, even if I didn't already find it fun to paint with.

(The painting is called "Eye to Eye" and shows Lafayette Escadrille pilots Raoul Lufbery and Victor Chapman in Nieuport 11s tangling with 2 German Fokker E.IIIs over France in the Summer of 1916)

Gorgeous. What a painting!!! To begin with your painting is awesome. Great to see you working out the solutions for the painting with artrage. Very cool.

Thanks GZ,

I feel better about it now that I can finish it. No major changes, mostly more emphasis on certain areas. Now I won't have to keep it stuck in the "Corner of Shame" behind my bookcase .

Don

Awesome idea.... Love the original painting, it's fantastic...!!!!!!