ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hokusai Prophecy (unfinished & amended)

Hokusai Prophecy (unfinished & amended)

Since it may be possibly on sale for the forthcoming charity exhibition Misterpaint and others are preparing, I can probably wait that date to possibly provide the final version.
    Nonetheless a good enough idea may be given already at this stage I think.
    What is substantially missing according to my plans are, apart from some detail adjustments, just some cerulean strokes, little bubbles and the samurai colorful attire completion.
    I hope You may like and any suggestion would be appreciated and still in time to be possibly considered for an improvement.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HokusaiProphecy2.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	434.9 KB 
ID:	54413  
    Last edited by Caesar; 04-06-2011 at 01:22 AM.
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Great image...the only thing I would consider changing is the sky color to a grayish color...just a suggestion
    Try to see as many angles of vision as possible...no single one of us has a "handle" on the whole picture.

Hi Caesar - i hadn't seen any work from you in a few days and wondered what you were up to... this is a great start and i am not a pro artist ( just a computer programmer ) there are a couple of minor tweaks i might suggest.

1. the darks of the small hut on the left seem to get lost in the darks of the tree and rock behind, i would adjust the background color and tone to a lighter value.
    2. the distant land and mount Fuji and the clouds are fairly 3d but the wave is more 2D I would add darker blues in the wave to give it a more convex appearance and some lighter whites along the wave fringe much like you did on the clouds.
    3. the ocean blues behind the Samurai are different on the right side of the figure than on the left side which is a little disconcerting some of the same blues and white need to appear to travel across both sides.

Hope this helps...

Thank You, dear Semd74!
    The color of the sky is that originally associated by Hokusai himself to his big wave, probably to contrast and make the scene more dramatic. I tried to recover that warm color here and there, so if I change the color of the sky many other ones should be changed.
    Obviously AR may possibly allow a little test with color fill, once I complete it and adjust a number of details and lines to get pleasant lines and movements all over.

You're right, dear Ghxpainter!
    Actually there are several lines and colors I should adjust as You say. The problem was caused by difficult watercolor control on the same layer, but it may be adjusted by some erasing and better splitting between two layers.
    I'll try to give a more 3-D look to the wave too, thus departing a little from the what Hokusai printed, to make the whole consistent.
    As for the trees and hut I have to better think to how the hut and the shorter trees ahead are respectively placed to decide how to solve their apparent mutual merging.
    Thank You very much!
    P.S. I've been also away for some other experiments (a couple on the WIP section), apart from my recently posted caricature. In these cases it took some more time because I wanted to explore several issues and try a more strict control of results than quick and loose strokes ...
    Last edited by Caesar; 04-05-2011 at 05:26 AM.

Great image Caesar! The power of the wave and of the earth comes through strong in this. It has a very authentic feel to it. I like the style this is done in with the watercolor and the visible sketch outline as well. You may consider continuing the sketch outline style even around the clouds in the sky to tie the whole piece together as one continuous style. Well done my friend!
    "The significance is hiding in the insignificant. Appreciate everything."
    Eckhart Tolle

Very nicely done. beautifully executed.

And you said I was versatile! This is a gorgeous piece!

Hail O Caesar ghz has said it all OK

Thank You, dear Sketch! Actually Your's a good point too and the reason comes from the fact that this sort of simultaneous graphical and watercolor/ color print style derives from a syncretic image I conceived after reviewing the various (and different) Hokusai works along the many periods his long life crossed.
    Since I can hardly make extreme changes, I may either use a thinner and colored outline on the clouds according to what You suggest, or to simply turn the other part outlines to make them disappear or be less visible.
    How much is the question. Some sort of graphical content has to be kept as well as some pictorial effects in terms of color transitions, tonal changes and gradients.
    I should probably have a look to some work this master made when they made western oil colors available to him to be used and I should look for to resume.

Thank You, dear Albert! I'm pretty sure this would be another style path where Your mastery would show an incredible talent for sure!

Dear Homiedude, reality and art are absolutely versatile and to learn from, appreciate and enjoy them I'm with You to think we should be so too, to the extent we can. Thank You!

Dear ATPlus the Old, I'm sure he did, anyway I still wonder whether ghz is either gxhpainter or gzairborne ... Thank You!

I introduced some imrpovement also to take into account as much as possible all the kind advices and suggestions ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HokusaiProphecy2.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	403.8 KB 
ID:	54461