ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Laptop or PC gets overheated.....and shuts off..

Laptop or PC gets overheated.....and shuts off..

Both me and my friend have the same problem lately while painting with ArtRage and for the near future I would like to know what to buy the next time. Using my laptop and drawing with ArtRage, if we switch on the heating in the house so that it gets about 20 Celsius, after a while the laptop gets overheated and shuts off. If we leave the heating off there is no problem, but it was Winter up till now. What will happen if the temperatures reaches that level and higher because it is summer ?
    What can the problem be ? We live about 60 km away from eachother and my laptop is standing on a very cold stone kitchen table.
    Is it the processor or is it the graphics card ? Or Both ? What kind of processor or graphics card will operate without any overheating problem with ArtRage ?

I have an Acer Aspire 9300 with AMD Athlon 64 X2 and Nvidia Geforce Go 6100 graphics card...

I am going to buy a new laptop one of these days but because I am addicted to ArtRage I would like to buy the best match...

As for now, I am typing this with a frozen cooling pad underneath my laptop which I normally use when I have a headache haha.....I am not kidding....it true And it works for the next hour or so....

hi Vanity
    I've used an acer laptop for several years, with art rage, and ive never had an overheating problem..i usually listen to music on my laptop at same time.and may have several other things running at same time....my suggestion is that your fans may need cleaning, using compressed air

its an acer aspire 250g hard drive and 4gb memory
    .................................................. .............................
    There are things that we don't want to happen but have to accept, things we don't want to know but have to learn, and people we can't live without but have to let go.
    Author Unknown

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused

ArtRage doesn't use the accelerator on the graphics card so it will probably be the processor. Cleaning the fan may help, and if the vent for the laptop is on the underside, supporting it on a stand that doesn't cover the vent may also help with it.

If you have anything else running at the same time as ArtRage, try turning it off first and see if that makes any difference. It's possible that the processor is being run hot due to the number of things it's having to handle at once.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Exclamation

Thats interesting....wo

You can also buy a cooling pad for your laptop. A stand with two fans on it and usb powered.. most laptops that have two or more processors need some extra cooling especially when it is hot weather.

I do not know why they still call them LAPtops cause you can't set it on your lap .......anymore...hehe

Hope this helps you.

Haha no...I can't set it on my lap anymore, also not on the side of the couch which I used to do, the leather gets too hot also when I am just surfing the web.

But thanks for your somments, the fans can certainly be the problem too, I am going to look if they need cleaning. They probably do.... I have tried to put something underneath it to give it more breathing space, but that made it worse. The cold stone top of my kitchen has a better effect, and then I have to move it once in while. If that is not the problem, I could use a stand with extra cooling function and see if that works..

Most of the time I have some Fora in the background wainting for me to post something a few times a day. That's all...

but if I understand correctly I do not need to look for a better processor of graphic card ? As long as it does not overheat, it does not slow me down in anyway no mather what I do. I am still satisfied overall...

Thumbs up

Well this problem is solved ! I used my vacuumcleaner to suck out all the dirt and dust out of every ventilationhole and speakers and the keyboard and hoping that I would not suck out anything important...
    From that moment on it stays totally cool. I can even use my laptop as a laptop again and put it on the couch again without this funny smell that the leather gets overheated. And without the heating on it is 26 C
    degrees outside and it still stays cool when I take it outside....
    So thanks for the great advice !!

Glad to hear the problem is solved...but you will probably need to upgrade soon...better save your pennies...LOL
    Try to see as many angles of vision as possible...no single one of us has a "handle" on the whole picture.

I've had that problem as well... My computer would randomly shut off... Turned out to be an accumulation of dust bunnies... I now clean my 4 computers every 4 months or so...