ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Brush stroke query

Brush stroke query

Greets everyone,
    I created this image with a person I know in mind. I have several versions of this painting and I use them as a base to practice brush strokes, colour, shade etc and feeling. I doodle but rarely complete my images so I thought this process might help me develop some skill and discipline.
    I wouldn't mind some feedback and advice.

One annoying item I often run into is the consistency of my brush stroke pressure. I've included a zoomed in section of the area. I'm not sure it's clear to see but when I'm using the knife to spread colour I end up cutting into the paint and leaving unwanted ridges where the paint depth changes.
    I use a Wacom Intuos2 (I have 4x6 and 6x8) with pressure set in the middle and the default pallet knife settings. I've tried easing up on the brush as well. Any thoughts or general practice would be appreciated. Oh yes and I sometimes use layers and then merge.

Cheers,
    Tim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	laurie2.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	384.5 KB 
ID:	54349  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by netresolve; 04-05-2011 at 08:49 PM. Reason: adding details

I understand why the clumping of the paint can be frustrating but that is the nature of the program, or so I've come to terms with. I think that the texture of the painting is part of it's appeal. Using layers, like you mentioned, is a good technique. For smoother blending try using a brush with the 'load' setting turned way down and move the paint around with a dry brush.

Love your work J.
    I'll try brush blending more. I frequently use the knife and I see that learning to diversify is the key here. Thanks for the suggestion.

Cheers,
    Tim