ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trying to challenge myself with ArtRage

Trying to challenge myself with ArtRage

Well, this is probably "not done" among real artists, I think. But many people constantly ask me to do portrets of their animals or people which have to be an exact look alike...not like many artist so very beautifully can do, their own impression or their own style of painting.
    So I am trying to copy an old masterpiece, not to use for any other purpose but to challenge myself if I can do this with ArtRage... The next step can be to do somebody's portret that somwhat looks like the "old" style.
    So I took a portret of Rembrandt van Rijn and after tracing some lines, do the rest myself. Any critic is very welcome....

Here are the first three stages in a printscreen.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rem1.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	126.8 KB 
ID:	54290   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rem2.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	150.9 KB 
ID:	54291   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rem3.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	152.4 KB 
ID:	54292  

Step four....changed a lot in his face to get it right, not totally finished yet though. And added the first step of the hair and clothing.
    It is in two layers, one layer is the background which I will have to finish too and the second layer is the portret itself.

As a tool I use the oilpaint with al lot of tinner and very low pressure. As I think probably Rembrandt did this too....but I am not an expert on art. To make it look dated I finish it of with the Crayontool....to see more of the structure of the canvas like the original....

Name:	rem4.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	125.5 KB 
ID:	54321  

Really impressive!
    This was also an attempt I had intention to make on a figure too, although I would be a little ashamed after having seen Your WIP!
    I wouldn't reach Your level for sure; morover I'm not patient enough to set up and stick to a palette or any other rule or means and I tend to go on too intuitively and too speedy.
    Anyway I think that the problem for attaining a copy close to perfection, is to get a more casual, noisy texture, as usual for virtual programs. Probably the fast way would be to add some little metallic touches here and there with some knife blending to smear it to this purpose, or starting with a background primer with impurities, as old masters used to do, and consider more than one figure layer.
    I already made an attempt starting the famous Caravaggio fruit basket (the first still life of that kind probably) and I think I may choose a figure, always among Caravaggio artpieces I think, since he's the number one painter in my view, for practising a little a face an awful challenge too.
    But that's going to happen when the memory of this marvel of You fade away a little bit ....
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Haha Caesar thanks ! But I am confident that you can do this too. But you are right, it takes a lot of patience, even I have trouble keeping that. I had to look up Carvaggio (sorry) and see what you mean now. I also found the fruitbasket and it looks pretty complicated to me. Also other paintings of Carvaggio look more difficult to try and reach that level than a Rembrandt van Rijn painting. Rembrandt had a lot of darkness in his paintings in which you can hide details or imperfections. Like in this case the hair and the clothing and the right side of the face. Also the Eye on the left side is not very detailed. He has no lashes for example...and no eyecorners and the iris is much to big in comparison to reality. This I notice now for the first time. I have been dragged to the museum so many times when I was a kid and have seen many in real life but never had enough interest to look this close.

In the meantime I tried to make the background more alike using multiple layers as you suggested and that works better. At the end I need tot add some more layers over the portretlayer to give that more canvas structure and more metallic effects...or darker shades...

I have made two printscreens in the meantime and I have managed to make some changes that are not right. Like the eyes, and my Rembrandt looks a little less friendly. But it does not have te be exactly the same at the end. And I do not think that I could do this for real, or if I can it will take more than a year. But I do not want to, it just for practising.

And what I do know now....the ArtRage software is amazing because it can manage to do everything....with no limitations whatsoever. And for myself I found out that this way of painting has another advantage which may not be very important to others...the zoom-function. Due to a Meningitis last november probably caused by a Tick, my left eyesight is unfocused somewhat. When I paint I get into a kind of stare mode normally, but if i do that now I do not see enough. If I zoom in on a detail I do not need to use a magnifying glass which I am sure I had to use when I would be painting on real canvas or paper. And I would take months to to one painting because my eyes would get very tired very quickly. Now I can paint all day long....
    I hope it is going to improve in the next months but there is no guarantee..

Step five and six---->and seven

Name:	rem5.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	128.7 KB 
ID:	54346   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rem6.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	126.6 KB 
ID:	54347   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rem7.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	102.3 KB 
ID:	54348  

You want criticism? Well too bad, its perfect!

You're going on terrificly, dear mate! Just for Your consideration, You may possibly use the blur feature (not the blur knife) too on some parts You wish a little more fuzzy.
    Since You're ahead with Your work, You may first duplicate and then adjust blur and transparency on one of the two layers while keep the other sharp. You may also erase partially either or both as appropriate, along the same boundaries and combine them as a puzzle blending them together.
    Rembrandt and Velasquez after his youth, but also the late Tiziano before (Titien) tended to paint more synthetically with rapid and right strokes with some undefined parts. Actually it requires much capability to express more with less strokes and, apart from the color combination rules discovered by impressionists (but also by Venitian schooland by the Tuscanian Macchiaioli before), that's exectly one of the fundamental skills used also by almost all the impressionists.
    I'm sorry for Your healt problems. My mom suffered years ago for an herpes zooster going to her left eye instead and that's another really unpleasant painful illness with consequences wich may as serious as late the right diagnosis occur ..
    Last edited by Caesar; 04-03-2011 at 10:43 PM.

Well...I had the Herpes Zoster occurring a few days later also, showed it to the doctor, who didn't believe me for about 4 days, then took a little book out of his pocket and said, hey that looks like Herpes Zoster. But I had a very very mild one, no pain no itching and just a few spots like 20 around my waist. So I considder myself lucky... ( that is why a make a lot of typing mistakes lately too)

I think I am in the final stage although it never seems to be perfect to me and I can spend many many hours to change little things. I could never ever paint the way Rembrandt or any other impressionist did. I can't use a few strokes like them to show the details I would want to show. I will always need to use an absurd amount of strokes to make what I want or to make it look like what they could do in a few strokes.

What is the Blur function ? I did use the knife to blur a layer which was ment to be the layer to show some canvas structure. And then I added about two or threes layers more to add this canvas structure again. One for the background, one for darker colours and one for the highlights and another one to add some more "noise" to the total painting....

It is nice that I know now how to make a kind of old antique finish or background to a painting. I am planning to try to see if I can do this too on real canvas as well but then with some flowers or something. I tried it before with Acrylic paint but it looks terrible. Somehow oilpaint is easier for me to paint with than Acrylic paint.....and I still do not know why...haha.

There is one little tiny remark.....the canvas of ArtRage repeats itself in small squares......I have to be carefull that that does not show but it still does mostly in horizontal lines.

I have tried to make a detailed picture too.....so one can see up-close what it looks like.

And then the finished painting although it probably wil never be finished to me.

Name:	rem8.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	175.9 KB 
ID:	54370   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rembrandtjpg.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	268.0 KB 
ID:	54371  

VanityX, this is incredible! well done!

A true piece of excellence! Well done.
    My Gallery:

http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/2939
    Deviant Art Gallery:

In Edit menu You findat about two thirds of the list, inter alia, Adjust (for colors) and Blur aimed at fine tuning layers (non the blur knife type). Have a look and make some quick test because it's easy to see how they work ...
    Anyway You did an unbelievably good copy even without any possible supporting feature of AR!
    Last edited by Caesar; 04-04-2011 at 08:58 AM.