ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poster Concept

Poster Concept

This is a poster design for the little league my kids play on. It is one of many ideas I had but is the only one that made it to a semi-completed phase. I would love some feedback on this one because I have been staring at it to long and I need some fresh eye's. Let me know what you think. Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "The significance is hiding in the insignificant. Appreciate everything."
    — Eckhart Tolle

Sketchism71...Well I think its great... good artwork in there,and thats my personal opinion....Jack.
    http://jacktar51.cgsociety.org/
    Some of my artwork can be seen at the above link.......Jack.

Sketch, I think this is perfect as it is, the colors are wonderful, the creases in the boys pants and the pose is, I will say it again PERFECTO

Like what you have -- not sure my offering here is any better, but I present it for food for thought

Al

I like the concept, my only comment would be the blue diamond shape with printing would look better starting behind the players leg.
    But what do I know.
    Geoff

Thank you for the comment Jack!

Thank you Pat for the wonderful comment! I'm glad you liked it!

Thank you Al! You nailed it!! It was a composition issue. I spent so much time painting the child and focusing on color and value... The composition was ignored (gets me every time on projects like this!). I figured it was just the text or font that didn't look right. Your version subtracts a lot of the dead space and has much better balance. I like the drop shadow as well. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Thanks for the fresh (and skilled) observation on this!

Thank you Limey! I added some of those designs to take up some space but your observation was dead on... The diamond needed to be behind the childs leg. Good eye! Thank you!

Thank you Sandra for the wonderful comment!

So here is another version thanks to great advice!
    "The significance is hiding in the insignificant. Appreciate everything."
    — Eckhart Tolle

this is good and the pose has a good sense of movement...
    regards,
    waheednasir.
    www.waheednasir.com

Looks great, it's got movement, action and love of the game , just a wee nit pick but perhaps his right arm (the part thats showing) needs to be built up a bit ?

Hi Sketch,

I think the idea is great. The pose is very cool (though I agree about the arms). The application is very good.

I am personally not too crazy about the pastel colors like purple. The palette is a little sweet for baseball (ie doesn't say baseball to me which deals with saturated primaries -- red, white, blue, black (see uniforms) against the earthy tones of dirt and grass, a white plate and chalk). Less designer label, more pine tar. The ground colors/values in the purples, it feels like the batter is in shadow, whereas the batter is the star and tells the whole story and should be hot as in a spotlight. The sort of acidic yellow-green is stealing focus.

I can kinda see what you're getting at, giving it a blur like old sports photos. That's groovy. But as you have done it, it feels soft rather than fast.

I know there's a whole world out there that I am out of touch with, and many illustrators have probably done sports stuff trying to give it cool effects and get all arty, but give me the story first over the artistic flair. Right now it's a little more about the illustration than the baseball event.

I also wouldn't mind seeing (part of) a catcher crowding in to give it a feeling of excitement and contest (without upsetting the passive nature of the game where there are no winners and losers if that's what this league is about.)

I know this sounds like I'm really ripping it apart. Not my intention. It's good. But since you asked for opinions, I was running through a mental checklist and that's what came up. It would probably be impossible to do it all with this one taken to where it is anyway, but it's for consideration only.

I will return the compliment, and say you are welcome to ignore everything I have said. At the end of the day it's about you and the audience out there, not me, which this critique is sounding like.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream