Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Portrait Of A Peasant Woman With A Background

Gallery
    View images

Portrait Of A Peasant Woman With A Background

She always obeys her destiny. She was at sixteen years old when her family decided to marry her with the Huseyin whom is the oldest son of village mukhtar Mehmet. She feeds the hens, she cooks bread on stove, she picks tobacco leaves, then she knits her hands under her belly, she is ready to serve her children and her grandmother without any complaint. When call to prayer begin from minaret, her thin lips slightly moves and she says some words with a whispering sound.

Village people told me that, her husband Huseyin quarreled with the man whom says call to prayer from the minaret, and grabbed an axe and wounded the man two years ago. Huseyin has been sentenced for twelve years.

Now she waits her husband and she silently says some words with a whispering sound when she hear call to prayer. I hope that she says some holy verses.

__________________________________________________ _____________
    Made with ArtRage on real pencil sketch. Original size is 1500x1400 pixels.
    The woman is from a village, near Bursa. Mosque is Esrefiler in Bursa city.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Gallery
    View images
    That's excellent, Levent. The character you have brought to life in her face, the bright buildings contrasting with the dramatic sky -- all beautifully done.

David

Gallery
    View images
    Levent...... this is a very nice painting.....and it has a story,very good,and the lighting is good on the building,it looks quite hot.... Jack.
    http://jacktar51.cgsociety.org/
    Some of my artwork can be seen at the above link.......Jack.

Gallery
    View images
    A perfect colour's scale.
    It's nice you told us the history...
    Great job!
    DB
    ©raw painter©

Gallery
    View images
    Dear dr zeller, Jacktar and drakeblake, thanks for your comments, story is fiction, was written by me.

Gallery
    View images
    Interesting proposition with this one. My comments are about artistic voice.

The painting is very good.

And it sounds like you have a story beginning there.

Even though in the history of paintings, we have seen such peasant looking women in many successful pictures, I personally never felt drawn into asking about their back story. Certain images beg the question, while others don't -- for me.

Portrait paintings tend to be fairly succinct. That you have looked to give her a peripherally eventful life, she herself could be considered comparatively passive. The story is elsewhere.

While I admire your trying to draw attention to her as a character study, as someone who is away from influencing the activity of the world, and somewhat long suffering and stoic, while doing everything that is expected, I would like to know what her value is as a focus for a picture. (I'm just posing the rhetorical question as a consideration as the artist.)

What makes her mere appearance say something more than viewing an old worn out pair of shoes?

Even if it were merely visual, what have you accomplished in this picture as an artist?

It might serve to sharpen your comments/story to something a little more poignant. If she's as dull as all that (as you describe), then where does her soul live, or wisdom, or what has she learned from her life. . . Is she the personification of chattel, or long suffering, etc, and if so, how is that displayed in the picture. How could her body language assist you in speaking to the viewer. Would a full body in the context of preforming an action, stooped or sitting with the weight of the world on her shoulders serve your comment?

In short, make me care.

With the fisherman, you drew an interesting connection and made a fairly universal statement. I reacted to him because you reacted to him.

Gallery
    View images
    well captured Levent...i like all the implied detail in her jewllery and the detail work of her vest

Selby
    "I like to have a thing suggested rather than told in full. When every detail is given, the mind rests satisfied, and the imagination loses the desire to use its own wings."
    ~Thomas Bailey Aldrich~

Gallery
    View images
    Whenever I see "Portrait " in the title of one of your paintings I can't open it quickly enough. Superbly painted as always, I'm never disapointed.Thank you Levent.

Gallery
    View images
    Dear D Akey, again you write a comment like a book excerpt, interesting one, thanks. Dear Selby, thank you for comment. Dear Peter, thanks for your comment. All comments are valuable. Be well folks.

Let me add a belated congratulations for your image, it is wonderful.
    Boxy