ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: A love of Steam

A love of Steam

I've just spent the last few days drawing this engine, from a photo I took at a steam rally. I really love these old engines, always recall my uncle running a small Mamod engine at Christmas, kept me quiet for ages....

Happy Christmas to you and your families

Joules
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Joules

Grrr, I'm jealous... This is the kind of pen drawing I crave about...

Great drawing Joules !
    Old

Great linework and shading!
    I love the old steam locos that used to run the rails...
    My town is a planned city built between two major rail lines to be used as a depot and junction for the original steam locos (like the Frisco). We have an annual railroad festival here every year that draws in thousands of visitors....I am actually going to do a bunch of loco paintings and set up a booth at the festival and see what kind of reaction I get :wink:
    --------------------------------------------------------
    The truth is this to me...and that to thee.

Rkngel,
    you should do very well, your paintings are great, and I would love one. The steam guys are mostly nut's about steam, so expect to be busy. Make sure to post copies/pictures of what you do here. It would be quite nice to see some photo's of your stall set out too. Keep us posted.

Joules
    Joules

Oh now that is just fantastic! Your attention to detail is phenomenal. This is a brilliantly intricate drawing.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

I guess this is the trade off for years of cad work. I'm not confident or good at working with colour though. I seem to favour the pencil over all the tools I've used so far in ArtRage.

Oldlink, the key to success is practice, then more practice and more practice. Don't be put off by your first drawings. I have my first Artrage drawing of a compact truck (French built), as a reminder of what I started with... It isn't very good, the lines I drew are wobbly, and don't always join, the wheels look bad, and the windows have no shading to indicate glass. You can learn a heck of a lot by studying what other people have drawn here. I will be copying some of the artworks here to try and get to grips with colour and other tools. Roll on buying a Wacom tablet though. I will be visiting the Apple shop to have a play soon.

Oldlink, another tip is to not try and do a perfect copy, you need to let some detail slip, the shading and line work approximate the actual picture I used. You can easily overload yourself by getting bogged down in detail. Keep it simple to start with, then as you get better and faster, you can add more twiddly bits.

Joules
    Joules

Joules... Tizz me... I like traction engines steam rollers, and the like..they have a steam fair near to us once a year, and its massive, it usually lasts two or three days, I really must try to get to it this year....very interesting..... good picture... Jackl.
    http://jacktar51.cgsociety.org/
    Some of my artwork can be seen at the above link.......Jack.

Jack,
    it was a painting you did of two boats moored, that brought my mind round to the steam engine, so to some degree you inspired this drawing.

Thanks

Joules
    Joules

Wonderful, dear Joules.

Nice image! Fascinating machine shape. Like it was designed to fit in the rectangle of the frame.