ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nude Study- chalk gestural

Nude Study- chalk gestural

Here's piccie number 2.

I wanted to try a very loose figure study to try using chalk as per soft pastels, with coloured mid-tone paper, as I used to do occasionally.

Really aimed at using as few lines as possible to capture the pose, and I think this took about 20mins. Please feel free to offer critique/ideas/suggestions. I'm going to try doing these fast sketches fairly often now, so don't hold back - help me grow

btw this is based on a photo p. 101 Anatomy for the Artist, Simblet and Davis.

Thanks for looking!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AnatArtists2.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	74.6 KB 
ID:	53844  

Masterful!
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Very nice and very effective .
    Geoff

Ah thanks gentlemen. Maybe one day I'll do something more finished than a sketch

proportions look great, but the lighting is sort of confusing to me. it is hard to understand how the light is falling on the form. right now it seems to go from dark to highlights without any midtones. I like how you are almost sculpting the form with the chalk... now maybe define it with some gradations of light.
    unless those highlights are spotlights in a dark room they would slowly transition from highlight to midtone to shadow.
    Last edited by screenpainter; 03-22-2011 at 08:04 AM.

Thanks gzairborne for the thoughtful comments. I can totally see what you're saying. As to the midtones, what you said is pretty much my aim - to sculpt the shadows and highlights and use the midtones of the paper in a very fast way, but no I'm not there yet.

And I did have trouble with the lighting in the photo too, direction was a bit front-on for my liking.

I might try this approach with a more neutral grey paper next time, and with a few more colour graduations and see how I go. Cheers!
    Last edited by Hammers; 03-22-2011 at 06:28 PM.

Hammers:

Tell me if you heard this one. You hit the nail right on the head.

I like abstract, minimalist painting, which I think you achieved with great success. It is as if I wanted to create a perfect image, I would buy a camera. Your few lines say so much. It is free flow. You give us enough and we fill in the blanks with our imagination.

Thanks for sharing this with us.

P.D.

I think it is very well done. Maybe a suggestion could be that if you use this kind of papercolor you can let the paper color reflect on the the places where it would normally reflect on the body..... It would look then a little bit more as if shadows an highlights are at the right place where they should occur. But again it is your choice if you would want that. It looks very good as it is now.
    And I can only paint and draw realistic paintings so abstract painting is a very unknown area to me.
    But I think it is very beautifull !!

Thanks PD and VanityX! Yes I'm definitely attracted to the ideal of capturing as much as possible with as few strokes as possible.

In music mixing, Stav calls it 'maximum illusion, minimum voltage'. Pretty much the same aesthetic idea.

And I like your idea VanityX, maybe using the paper colour to hint at indirect/bounced light... Will ponder and experiment.

Nice sketch and lovely pose!... do I understand you correctly that you referenced this from a book which you had laying open in front of you?