ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your art is rubbish can I have my money back?

Your art is rubbish can I have my money back?

Well..a slight exaggeration
    My cousin told me that her boyfriend loved my artwork, he had seen all of my pictures and wanted some art doing with a crocodile in it. I told my cousin (she is 18 going on 13) I said, yeh commission me, so she did, so I explained in detail how the work was going to be done. It took me 5 hours solid and I only charged 6.50. I told them it was in digital format (PNG) and that when it was completed I would send it to them via email and explained that all they had to do was download it to their PC and either put it on CD or memory stick and take it to a shop to get it printed. They appoved my sample pic of the artwork (completed but with watermark) They paid (eventually), I sent the work via email attachment. Last night I recieved a stinking message on my facebook fanpage for all to see! telling me that they wanted their money back because it wasn't what they expected. What!! So I went round to see them face to face about it...steam coming out of my ears. I said, 'You did know it was in digital format surely? What are you expecting a traditional piece of artwork large format for 7!!!!! and explained that something like that would set them back 300 and weeks of work! Not sure what planet folks are on these days! Want things for nothing. Certainly not a 1 and hour!

So he can like it or lump it
    You can view all my other artwork here http://spookyjules.blogspot.co.uk/

You can take a philistine to culture, but you can't make them appreciate it - or is that a horse and drinking water . . .

Sorry to hear about that experience - the way they dealt with their disappointment speaks volumes about the level they operate on. Why not come back to you and complain rather han flaming you online? Give them their pennies - unless you'd already booked the Caribbeean cruise with just part of the enormous fee. Then forget it and them - with regard to art anyhow.
    Nick Harris Artwork
    http://nickillus.com

New system as of April 2011
    i5 quad core - Asus P7P55LX
    Windows 7 Home Premium
    8gig DDR3 RAM
    Wacom intuos 3 A5
    Radeon 512mb graphics card

Hi Nick, thanks, yeh I think it goes something like that

After I gave him it both barrels and everyone running for cover hiding behind sofas lol he admitted he hadn't realized it wasn't a pencil drawing. My cousin got a pleasant earhole bashing too, with tails between legs. They said, 'We thought you'd completed it quickly' (5 hours yeh!) ...runs off to book a flight to taihiti...
    You can view all my other artwork here http://spookyjules.blogspot.co.uk/

It's not just civilians that go off on one like that though - I remember about fifteen years ago I had an advertsing job where the given brief was to do some anatomical studies in the style of michaelangelo/leonardo, which I duly did referring to books of their drawings. Some examples of their stuff can be quite rough but I erred towards the more finished style. The ad agency guy exploded at me declaring 'how can I show the client this shit - you've just cost me a quarter million pound job here and I'm going to make sure you suffer for it- blah de blah de blah' To say I was a bit shocked but also furious doesn't do the experience justice. He'd said Michaelangelo/leonardo, actually wanting a style from a bit later - but not art trained enough to know the difference and expecting me to be a mind reader.

I vowed never to work with the pillock again - but got the job (which was too well paid to decline really) because their client really liked the drawings and it suited their purpose perfectly - avoiding contact with idiot man and liaising through someone else. Hopefully he is now digging ditches somewhere so the level of his skills are stretched to their limits.

You meet characters like this all over - aaaargh.
    Last edited by Nickillus; 03-20-2011 at 03:05 AM.
    Nick Harris Artwork
    http://nickillus.com

New system as of April 2011
    i5 quad core - Asus P7P55LX
    Windows 7 Home Premium
    8gig DDR3 RAM
    Wacom intuos 3 A5
    Radeon 512mb graphics card

Now yourself and also us have learnt a lesson; the moral of the story is ....
    Let us, than be up and doing,
    With a heart for any fate. - H.W.Longellow
    The artist is the lover of Nature, therefore he is her slave and her master. - Rabindranth Tagore

The attitude of not wanting to pay artists because it is supposedly so easy for them to do it... just floors me.

Yeah, they can afford the flight to Tahiti but fuss about the price of having artwork contracted. isn't that ridiculous.

sorry for your experience you went through Jules.

I just had one myself. Turned out okay I think. I got a whole bunch of art supplies for doing one painting. about a hundred dollars worth of paint and a couple new brushes. Took four days of agony with phone calls constantly about how much longer is it going to be? fun... yeah right.
    Last edited by screenpainter; 03-20-2011 at 10:31 AM.

Dear Jules,
    The list of now recognized great artists who never got paid or appreciated for their art spans the alphabet, with the possible exceptions of Q, X, Y, and Z. The world is full of "Philistines" and we just have to live with it.

Whenever I find myself in irritating situations, I revert to reading "The Desiderata"

You, My Dear Friend, have no reason to be defensive. You are an Artist. Small minds are a fact of life.

Additionally, the thought of you coming to my home with steam coming out of your ears is truly frightening... so I'd just offer you a cup of tea or coffee. Decaf, of course. (This is the part where I'm kidding you and having fun with you.)

Jules, from my earliest days on the ArtRage forums, you have been one of several to whom I have looked for inspiration and guidance, be it verbally or visually.

You're a Treasure to this community, Dear Lady.

The other stuff will sort itself out, hopefully.

Hang in,
    Bob

Jules, you poor dear. A horrendous but, sadly, a common tale. Of course, the added insanity of going on Facebook to flame you is a bit unconscionable - a little more modern twist to every conceivable breach of civility and etiquette.

After 42 years of being on both sides of this story, both as a professional buyer and seller in the graphics world, I don't think there is a savage tale I haven't heard or seen. I've learned a good trick is to aggressively beat a pillow until it releases its feathers, then laugh it off, and move on with a great tale to tell of my encounters with idiots - sort of like it's material for a social science treatise. If you ever write the book, be sure to name names and use photographs.

I like everybody's posts. Excellent feedback on the nuttiness. Don't let the bastards get you down. You're to damn great for that.
    // "Appreciation fosters well-being. Be well." - Byron
    //
    My ArtRage Paintings Here
    // My Comprehensive AR4 & 3 Thread Here
    64 bit Win8Pro, 16GB Ram, Intel i7 Quad Core - 8 threads; Wacom Intuios 4

Actually, I would have refunded their money and then right under their post on Facebook, I'd have inserted my art with a much higher price tag on it :-)

What hurts is you don't expect family to act that way.
    See ArtRage2.5 and 3.0 Studio Pro Tutorials:
    http://www.youtube.com/JudithTramayne
    or
    https://www.artrage.com/artragebasic.html

Children's Book - The Wonderful World of Wunks
    Written, illustrated, animated and narrated by Judith Tramayne

I guess its just a matter of taste lol

When i saw this post it sort of made me laugh and cry at same time...but laughter won out..my family says they love my paintings..but not enough to pay 'real' money for something done on a computer

It made me think back about 20 years to a national controversy over a painting
    bought by the national gallery.
    Voice of Fire was three stripes on a huge canvas, the gallery paid $1.8 million for it.
    http://www2.macleans.ca/2010/01/21/a...over-this-yet/
    .................................................. .............................
    There are things that we don't want to happen but have to accept, things we don't want to know but have to learn, and people we can't live without but have to let go.
    Author Unknown

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused