ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: drawing celebrities

drawing celebrities

I was wondering do artist have to have permission to draw celebrities , and can you get sued? I see a lot of artist who have drawn celebs on youtube. I would like to also.

It's most likely illegal, without permission to use their likeness. Whether or not they'll get into any trouble for it, probably depends on whether they're making any money off of it.

For example, let's say I painted a picture of Tobey Maguire, in his role as Spider-man, and hung it on my wall. I doubt I'd be sued for it, because it's just fan art done with no monetary exchange (and hardly anyone would ever see it, beside my friends, lol). On the other hand, if I were to take that picture and try to sell it, or prints of it, I'd likely get in some sort of trouble, because Mr. Maguire is not getting a cut for the use of his likeness, nor would Marvel Comics be getting compensated for the sales of the Spider-Man trademark. Also, were the image to be used to endorse something, it would again be an infringment on the likeness, because there was not prior agreement from the person (or trademark holder), that they were in favor of promoting said product.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Thats so true. no i think they were just fan art tutorials. thanks again for the info.

doubt you would get into any trouble using a common photo you find on the web for a reference and doing a fan art portrait. No star would risk looking that petty to sue. You might get into trouble if the photo you use is from a professional photographer who considers the photo as art already and you try to sell the same image as your own.

If you used comic book characters and you copied the original illustrator you could very well get in deep dew from the original artists or the copyright holders of those images or trademarks like SOS said. Making portraits of famous people is pretty common out there and they do get sold.