ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anders Zorn painting - a loose copy (+ original)

Anders Zorn painting - a loose copy (+ original)

I resumed and completed the initial sketched WIP.
    I pinned the original painting as a reference on AR and loosely proceeded to make a copy freely, i.e. no tracing or color picking, as I usually do.
    No pre-defined palette this time.
    Best way to enjoy it is obviously from some distance, since refining it excessively could have wasted the effect (and taken more time).
    I realized that impressionistic style can reasonably be reproduced.
    The real difficulty is to get a good impressionistic painting from an en-plein air scene and all by ourselves!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AndersZornCopy.jpg 
Views:	1040 
Size:	319.6 KB 
ID:	53767  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Caesar; 03-19-2011 at 11:23 AM.
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Hail O Caesar great stuff that's what i've been trying to do but just

havn't got to gripps with the paint and brush but will plod on trying OK

Cool! I really like it
    choosing the words, we lose thoughts
    facebook, B, tumblr

I think this is a really good one. I have a book on Zorn. Neat stuff. I haven't compared yours with his by looking at the book, but from my memory, you captured much of the essence of what he was about.

But your painting is really good. Glad to see you looking at these other artists as a resource for painting. Feels like playing a popular song on my guitar. Of course you're farther as a painter than I am as a musician, but it's a similar idea. I mean I would be nowhere without the existing songs. Nobody questions my playing those songs. It's an acceptable way to learn, and at some point I will have assimilated them and come out with my own style, something of a synthesis. And no doubt you will too in painting.

You seem to be selecting very good paintings to work with. This is a fine job.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

This is beautiful Caesar, you did a wonderful job, I know I would definately hang this on my wall

This one will become one of my favourites Cesare as I love the subject and the colours. Its a stunner
    Sometimes...I remember better with my eyes closed

My Gallery
    http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/6307

Dear ATPlus the Old, as You can see, Your reference to masterpieces for practicing by re-intepreting them with Your tasty and personal style was a great idea very helpful for me too for learning and practising. Thank You!

Thank you, dear Mike, and to You Maestro Zorn for this marvellous lesson!

Thank You, dear Sandra! I'd better improve soon on impressionistic style which would still be possible to use also whem I'll get older and my hand no more that firm ...

Dear D Akey, I'm following here one of Your advices. I recently tried to spot artists like Brandwyn and Zorn who inspired some of the early and famous great American illustrators of what I understood was defined the Golden Age.
    I attached also the original painting. Obviously in my erratic visit of the various genres and masters I end up landing always on the ones I like the most, no matter what their commercial rank or popularity is or how different they may be as style. You expressed perfecly what eventually I'm looking for. I guess that also some commercial contract would be useful to have some less fun and more discipline and professional quality, but I can hardly think someone would hire an old chap like me as free lance without a real curriculum and portfolio.

I'd be glad if You do, dear Pat, provided Anders Zorn's heirs aren't going to ask You for royalties ... Thank You!

Dear Katie, I was pretty sure You would have appreciated this kind of painting and style. Glad to be right. Thank you!
    Last edited by Caesar; 03-19-2011 at 11:18 AM.
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Dear Caesar, echoing others here, this is a really fine interpretation, one of your very best I think. Great work.
    // "Appreciation fosters well-being. Be well." - Byron
    //
    My ArtRage Paintings Here
    // My Comprehensive AR4 & 3 Thread Here
    64 bit Win8Pro, 16GB Ram, Intel i7 Quad Core - 8 threads; Wacom Intuios 4

you picked a really fine artist and excellent piece. having that said, I think your version stands rather well on its own. each brings a different personality to the canvas. a beautiful homage I would say.