ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mommy, I know what I want to be when I grow up.

Mommy, I know what I want to be when I grow up.

Haha! I would truly like to get into textile designing. I love design and I love textiles and sewing.
    Over the last few years I have had so much fun with AR software and our forum. Your kind words of encouragement have meant the world to me.

I have been looking into different software programs offered. Now I need to see if one needs a degree to be able to submit designs to manufacturers. (I just started looking into it this evening)

I would like to ask the Rage team if they are interested in making a textile designing software available? ArtRage is my favorite program.

I have an old corel illustrator package that I use on my windows system and also adobe. Artrage is so easy, versatile, and enjoyable and I don't use my other programs at all now. From what I have seen this evening, Adobe has one, and a few others. One package said that it would not work on an Intel system Mac. This is not my area as far as requirements, and with the cost being substantial, I don't want to make any mistakes.

Would anyone know anything about this business?

Alexandra,

Your design techniques would be perfect for textiles. I don't know of any degree to submit...I'm sure that there is a designer degree that would apply but don't know what it would be...If I find out I will post.

Blessings,
    Gigi

This is so nice of you Gigi. I will look into as I get more time too. Thanks for posting.

Contact the manufacturer (fabric mill) and ask about their submission guidelines?

Check out textile designer websites such as this one..
    http://www.textilerepublic.com/index.php

Last edited by moosie; 03-20-2011 at 04:41 PM.
    .................................................. .............................
    There are things that we don't want to happen but have to accept, things we don't want to know but have to learn, and people we can't live without but have to let go.
    Author Unknown

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused

Great idea, and thanks so much Moosie.
    Hey, just checked it out-this is amazing-thanks so much Moosie!
    Last edited by Alexandra; 03-21-2011 at 04:57 AM.

This is great news, Sandra! Good, good luck with this endeavor! You definitely have an eye for design. I am very excited for you!

Hi Sandy

This sounds like a really exciting opportunity and will complement your artistic style perfectly. Im afraid Im way out my depth with textiles and that sort of thing, apart from some basic screen printing at school, but I found this group who might be able to help and point you in the right direction:

Computer textile design group http://www.ctdg.org.uk/

It looks like they are mainly UK based, but they have quite an extensive list of links, publications and courses listed on their site. It might be worth contacting them for some advice and see if they know of any training courses or reasonably priced software packages that will help you get started.

btw - CONGRATULATIONS!!! on your feature(s) in the March issue of ArtRageUS! Great to see that little humming bird again.

All the best, Jono
    Good planets are hard to find - help look after ours.

Hi dear Jono, this is so kind of you, and thank you so very much dear friend. I look forward to checking this link, again thanks so much.
    I appreciate the kind comment on the magazine also.

There are specific parameters for textile design, but with technology and printing what it is nowadays, you probably are not limited. I seem to recall there is a way in Photoshop to make a repeat pattern (tiling). But that is mechanical. You won't probably inspire anybody by the fact that you can make things work for printers. That's more or less their job to take your work and make it print. You want to pay attention to what they require, but it's too early to worry about that aspect. You need to be designing and designing.

I think your designs are going to be what inspires people to buy your skills. I also think that if you send out a portfolio with stuff ready for print you will likely only have your stuff stolen or knocked off.

The way things tend to get sold other than a track record in business is your designs in context. Show what it would look like on a model, wrapped around, hanging and all that. and perhaps a swatch or two.

The other thing that would sell your skills is you. If you are dependable, on time, flexible and reasonably priced, you should get hired if work is available.

So how does one head in that direction? Plug away. Get hooked up with real living people who can hire or give you leads. And keep your mind and skills sharp for that eventuality when you get work.

GO ALEXANDRA!!!!!!!!!!!!! You can do it kid.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream