ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tip: Freeing up memory with xsysinfo (fixed in new update)

Talking Tip: Freeing up memory with xsysinfo (fixed in new update)

For those having out of memory warnings and frequent crashes because of lack of memory on the Ipad? I have found a program that works, it clears the memory without having to keep shutting down. It has worked flawlessy since i got it from the Itunes store.

I keep it loaded so all I have to do is save the painting when i get the warning. Dbl click the home button to bring up the taskbar launch the program and watch how much memory it free's up, then go back to ArtRage.
    Its called XSysinfo. I highly recommend it to work alongside ArtRage.

DO NOT UPDATE to 1.5 memory booster no longer available.
    Last edited by Saphire; 09-16-2011 at 10:22 PM.

I concur, I've been using it the same way, works great for me on all my art apps.
    Susan Murtaugh satisfied user (ArtRage)
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/suzi54241/

Thanks for this. I've been hunting for something to free up memory in the iPad. Stumbled on this post while installing ArtRage on my new tablet pc.

So, while waiting for the download, I installed the memory app on the iPad. And whammo! Suddenly, from having 8 to 15 megs of functional memory, I've got 80 megs. And ArtRage for iPad works just a little faster.

Worthwhile coupla dollars.

Thanks for sharing!

Blue skies
    Roy
    ROY BLUMENTHAL

Visual Facilitator: http://royblumenthal.com/portfolio

ArtRage 3.5.5 and 4.0.4 on:
    Fujitsu T901, Asus R1E

Freeing of Memory.

It seems to me that the developers of Xsysinfo have found some system calls to free up memory. Each time you press the memory icon it goes and tries to free up some more. Some times it takes several goes to free up a good amount of memory.

Surely the developers of ArtRage should research the calls that Xsysinfo are making, maybe even asking Apple.

Then they should be using these calls before during ArtRage's start up to free sufficient memory that it will run without lagging. Maybe also after the user has been painting for a while.

i.e. Make things automatic rather than rely on the user using Xsysinfo manually.

In my opinion got to be in Artrage's best interest as all the reviews slate the lagging.

True. Xsysinfo is a legal app, approved by the Byzantine craziness of the Jobs-apple-polishers. Meaning the same processes must be legitimately available to other apps. Great suggestion, Keith!
    ROY BLUMENTHAL

Fujitsu T901, Asus R1E

Is what Xsysinfo does different then me double tapping my home button, and closing the Apps running in the background? I'm new to iEverything, so I'm just trying to get a better understanding of it.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

I don't see how... being that once the app is closed, the process is killed off, therefore the memory that said app (process) was using is free...

For example

Mail.app kill mail, and you kill a couple of processes that take up memory

For those who want to compare..

Double click the home button (bring up favorites). Put finger on a favorite until a minus - sign appears, and then select the app. This kills all the apps, along with the processes

Hi John...

Your suggestion would be valid IF things were as they seem. However, Steve Jobs and the iOS team have infinite wisdom and better metaphors than the rest of us.

They believe that the user doesn't REALLY want to actually CLOSE an app that they've just closed. Jobs and team second guess us. They think, 'Nah, surely the user doesn't really mean that. Let's just PRETEND to close the app. What we'll REALLY do it freeze the process, leave it dormant and unused in memory, and we'll give the user the ILLUSION that there are no traces of the app jamming up the works.'

So, in a world where the user knows what the user wants, an app would shut down on command. But we don't live in that world. In our world, we actually need to buy an app that'll let us do what we actually intended to do in the first place.
    ROY BLUMENTHAL

Fujitsu T901, Asus R1E

It's possible that this app keeps memory clear by allocating it then deallocating it immediately. The way iOS works allows the system to keep things in memory until that memory is needed, then discard anything that was kept that is no longer flagged as being required. It's a reasonable way to make sure you can switch rapidly between environments if you're just going back and forth, but it can be a bit confusing for traditional app models.

We allocate lots of memory when you have a large canvas going with lots of paint on it, and the majority of the crashes we have seen so far happen during that allocation when the process is deep inside the internals of the OS so it's hard for us to say exactly what causes it. We do try to make sure that we free up everything we can however (our panels, for example, clean themselves up rather than waiting for the OS to clean them up later).

Interesting app!
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Unhappy Do not upgrade

Do not update this program to 1.5 Apple has told the developers to remove the memory booster, which makes it useless to free up memory.
    Christine.

(Paint what you see, not what you know to be there)

http://saphire1948.deviantart.com/gallery/