ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new pc person on viewing images?

new pc person on viewing images?

any tricks on how you view images on a pc would be much appreciated.
    I am so spoiled by the Preview app that is part of the mac OS
    it automatically opens the image when you click on any image, it does beautiful screen captures of images, windows or entire desktop.
    you can copy an image... open Preview and select new from clipboard and voila you have your image.

It also will open a mullitude of images in one viewer with one in the window and the others on a tab. It can also be set to open the multiltude of images separately. It also views pdf files. I am very spoiled by this app.
    Just not finding anything out there in pc land to equal it.
    closest I have come so far is an app called Xnview which is free and very useful.
    just nothing like mac OS Preview app I guess.

PS. I really love my new HP PC. I picked it up on craigslist for 165 dollars and it has 2 g memory and 500 gb hard drive and dual 1.8 ghz processor. it really is a lot faster than my older mac.

I've been using Irfanview for a couple of years now and as I'm very satisfied I even recommended it to my father (who turned 70 last year) who was in search for a software to "batch rename" entire folders of photographs. he managed to install and use the software without having me to tell him how to do it and is using it now for everything related to pictures/photographs.

you might check out the link for Irfanview (it's free!) --> http://www.irfanview.net/

hope that helps
    congrats to your new PC, have fun!

I have Ifranview on here yes. Got that one a couple days ago when searching. Thanks for that. And there is a built in picture viewer. Still not quite as multifunctional as the Preview app in the Mac OS. The good news is artrage works great on here. I am really quite happy with Windows 7. It is very mac like.
    Last edited by screenpainter; 03-10-2011 at 03:30 AM.

I use Xnview. I love it dearly. I even bought me the full version.
    The free version works just as good, but as I'm a profesional artist I'm obliged to buy.
    Even the ArtRage files are clearly visible in thumbnailview.
    Even basic editing and slideshows can be created. i use it daily.

here's the link

Excellent software
    Just say: "Rage It", because we already know it's art.

My ArtRage 3 and 4 Gallery------My Site ------- BROWSE MY BOOK

Thanks Hanzz. Yes, that is my favorite one so far. I got it yesterday and it is pretty decent. Viewing artrage .ptg thumbnails will be a big plus indeed.
    I will probably opt for the full version as well.

today discovered how to do a screen shot on pc, so it's all falling into place now.

I did not know that one click after a screen shot opens the image in MS Paint. So that works. I have jpgs set to open in Xnview... I am getting more happy.

I'm actually starteing to love this Windows 7 OS. It's very pretty, lean and smooth. Looking a lot like a mac. Makes my monitor look like a giant ipad with all the bright little icons.
    I am having a blast with it so far.

so it turns out there are tons of ways to view, edit and organize photos.
    MSN has a free photo viewing app on their site for free as well. Sort of a knock off of iphoto. I bet it is faster than iphoto though.
    Last edited by screenpainter; 03-11-2011 at 03:31 AM.

I've always just used the default stuff my computer came with. For viewing images, I open my image folder, which has the "View" options set for "Large Icons" (there's a lager setting, but it's overkill for me). Double clicking on an image, opens it in Windows Photo Gallery, where it can be viewed at it's actual size, or zoomed in/out, and also has tabs for proceeding to the next, or previous image in the folder, or played as a slide show. It also has a limited image editing ability, for hue changes, cropping, exposure adjustments, etc. When I need a screen shot, I just hit the "Prt Scr" key on my keyboard (found on every PC I've ever owned), which takes a shot of the entire screen, or I'll hold "Alt" and hit the Prt Scr key, to capture the active window, which I would then paste into the image editing software of my choice (can anyone guess what that might be ).
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Regarding ArtRage ptg files specifically: If you have ArtRage installed and are using medium / large icons / thumbnails on Windows 7, you should be able to see ArtRage paintings as previews. If you can't, feel free to email me and I should be able to sort that out for you.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Thanks everyone for the help. Thanks Dave the command prompt you sent me worked perfectly. I now can see artrage .ptg previews! heck yeah! very cool.

Thanks someonesane, I now have jpgs set to open in the picture viewer. which works great. previous owner had set to open in picasa which I did not enjoy. pngs are now set to open in Xnview where I can change file types if I want. very cool.

so I have lost another layer of pc resistance. (fear)
    Last edited by screenpainter; 03-17-2011 at 01:47 PM.

Albert,

There are four outstanding free image viewers that do a ton of other things:

XnView (as others have mentioned)
    PhotoScape
    Faststone Image Viewer
    Infranview

Each complments AR3 really well.

Others have mentioned it, but the Windows Snipping tool is an outstanding screen capture tool. No others are really needed. I use it constantly.
    Last edited by byroncallas; 03-18-2011 at 10:06 PM.
    // "Appreciation fosters well-being. Be well." - Byron
    //
    My ArtRage Paintings Here
    // My Comprehensive AR4 & 3 Thread Here
    64 bit Win8Pro, 16GB Ram, Intel i7 Quad Core - 8 threads; Wacom Intuios 4