ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Help for college project

Exclamation Help for college project

Im doing a project for my art class. Ive started a perspective painting and in this painting there is a hardwood floor. I would like it to be a dark wood floor but i have no clue how to painting this. can u guys gove me any tips on how to paint this. also can you guys give me any links to painting that have flooring in them. realism please no van goghs or anything like that.

thanks alot you guys are always so helpful
    my work- gusion85.deviantart.com

well ... i think that this maybe will help you a bit...

or get an idea about how to paint your floor.
    As you can see its all about fat dark and lighter lines.Its not easy at the begining but if you practice with 3-4 floor, then its gonna be more and more natural...as always it does!
    good luck with your project!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wooden dark floor.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	293.5 KB 
ID:	53517  
    Last edited by gioulin; 03-09-2011 at 04:18 PM.

Use the Art pen.
    Hold down shift to get the size pen you want for the boards.
    Make sure square brush head is chosen.
    Select your color.
    Hold the CTRL (control) key and
    draw your straight line.
    Last edited by Judith Tramayne; 03-09-2011 at 06:15 PM.
    See ArtRage2.5 and 3.0 Studio Pro Tutorials:
    http://www.youtube.com/JudithTramayne
    or
    https://www.artrage.com/artragebasic.html

Children's Book - The Wonderful World of Wunks
    Written, illustrated, animated and narrated by Judith Tramayne

There's a bit to take into account with this sort thing, aside from the object itself. You're doing a perspective shot, and want a dark, hard wood floor. This could mean you're low to the ground looking up, or high up, looking down. If the floor has a polished finished, and you're at the right angle, it could give off a good deal of reflection. It probably wouldn't be as defined as a mirror, of course, but the closer an object is to it, the more of that object might be seen clearly reflected on it.

I don't have a great example that fits what you're looking to do, but I did attach a part of an image I'm currently working on. I wasn't working on this area yet, and sort of just threw it together, so some things are a bit off. It's a dark wood clock, sitting on a TV cabinet, that's also stained a dark color. The cabinet has a slightly reflective surface, so you can see the lower parts of the clock, and the glass (see the red arrows) reflected on the top of the cabinet, but the reflection quickly diffuses, the further away from the feet it gets. There is also a bit of the mat reflected back.

Your best bet is probably going to be finding some good reference material, to study. Try to find something that shows dark wood floors, and comes close to the same lighting, and perspective you're going to be working with.

Name:  hardwoodfloor_examples.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  204.7 KB
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

I hope this painting by Anders Zorn may be of some help for close range texture of roughly finished wood planks with some time consumption effects. By glazing or smoothing it You may get any different finishing degree of distance effect I think.
    I'll keep looking for some other ones in paintings (I presume parquet pictures were already widely explored by You).

Panta rei (everything flows)!

One more example on the other extreme, a more undefined brushwork of a parquet ... It may be used anyway as the base texture on top of which more defined lines of sides or fibers and nodes may be superimposed.

Panta rei (everything flows)!

thanks guys i know its been awhile since ive been on and like always your such a big help. Another reason im having a hard time with this project is because im doing it in acrylic paint on paper board. Its very odd drawing and painting like this after working with my tablet for so long now. So its taking me awhile to get back in the swing of using paints and pens and what not.

-CS
    my work- gusion85.deviantart.com