ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can ArtRage 3 Pro do this?..

Question Can ArtRage 3 Pro do this?..

Hi, Kids ..

I just installed ArtRage 3 Pro for Winblows (registered, legal, yadda yadda).. over the weekend, and messed around with it for a while.. I'm obviously going to have to plow through the 111 page .pdf manual, and look at the tutorial videos, but there's an effect I used to do with real art materials back in College, late 1960s, and I'd like to know if some combination of AR3Pro's bajillion tools and controls can do the same thing..

I took a LOT of studio art classes in College.. just about every discipline you could name.. oil and acrylics, charcoal, life drawing, silkscreen, sculpture, you-name-it..

Later, from the 1980s to present-day, I've played with and used more computer art programs than I can even remember.. my favorite of all-time was probably Electronic Arts' "Deluxe Paint" on the Amiga computer..

I won't put you to sleep with my accomplishments, but way back when, in College, one of my Art Professors (who was so accomplished, he had Gallery exhibitions on "Art Row" on La Cienega Blvd., in El Lay.. he was particularly impressed with a technique I achieved on watercolor paper, and I'd like to be able to achieve the same effect in the software, automatically, if it can do it..

Unfortunately, I can't find any of my old watercolor sketch tablets I used in his classes, although I have them in Storage somewhere.. because then I could shoot a photograph of the effect I'd like to do on the computer.. he told me he found the effect "very pleasing and satisfying", and those words still stick in my mind, forty years later..

I'll try to describe what I want to do.. then perhaps one of you experienced AR3Pro experts can give me a blow-by-blow, step-by-step walk-through and tell me how to do the same thing in the program..

Imagine you have an 18" x 24" spiral-bound pad of textured watercolor paper, or a single sheet, clipped to an easel.. and a full set of paints and brushes, and a full set of Rapidograph Technical Drawing Pens, in various point sizes..

Now grab a soft brush or two, and make some splashes of watercolor on the paper.. fat lines, thin lines, over-lapping lines of different colors, splotches, circles, dots, whatever.. just totally abstract..

Wait for the watercolors to COMPLETELY dry..

After the watercolor paints are TOTALLY bone dry, take a Rapidograph Technical Drawing Pen, say point size "2", or "medium", and, using BLACK ink, carefully and precisely OUTLINE each splash of color, exactly around its borders, such that the black line does NOT go into the watercolor splashes or dots or lines or whatever shape they are AT ALL, and there is absolutely NO gap between where the color(s) edges are, and the black line surrounding that brush stroke..

The various watercolor paint strokes should NOT bleed or diffuse on the paper.. they should have sharp borders, and be totally dry..

The black ink line from the technical drawing pen should NOT impede INTO the colored areas, and should also not bleed or diffuse out onto the paper..

Get the picture?..

So.. my question is, is there a way to achieve this in ArtRage3 Pro, in ONE operation.. in other words, select a watercolor brush, draw a few curves or splotches, or any shape you can think of, and then the program AUTOMATICALLY draws a 2-pixel black border around EACH colored whatever it is.. neither the colored areas, nor the black ink bleeds into the other, or feathers out.. the black line is tight, and exactly surrounds any given splotch of color, without having to try to tediously / manually draw the black line with the mouse pointer..

If the program CAN'T automatically put a 2 pixel, black border around a splotch of color, can one go back in, after having painted some splotches of color, and TELL the program "I want you to put a 2 pixel-wide black border around this splotch or line or curve or dot of color, and exactly follow the borders of the colored area(s), and NOT cross over yourself.." ..

Like I said.. I've spent maybe two hours messing with the program, since I installed it.. I read SOME but not ALL of the 111 page manual.. I didn't even begin to scratch the surface of the hundreds of panels and menus and tools in the program..

I just want to know if it can achieve this effect.. either totally automatically, or semi-automatically, and, if so, I need a step-by-step tutorial on how to do it..

Make sense?..

Thanks..
    Harv

Sorta almost worked..

Hi..

Thanks for your brief tutorial.. I sorta kinda got halfway to what I was trying to do..

The best way to really learn something like ArtRage is to sit down next to somebody who knows it inside-out, and explain what you want to do by showing them an example (like I'd show you one of my old College art class projects).. and then say "Can you show me how to make the program do this?"..

I tried to follow your instructions to the letter.. tried half a dozen times, in fact, but it just didn't give me the effect I used to get in class, using watercolors and Rapidograph pens..

If I still have it in my Storage Locker, I'll try to look for one of my old sketch / drawing / painting pads, and shoot a photograph of what I'm trying to accomplish.. I just couldn't get the program to give me the results I was after, but I appreciate your instructions..

I'm probably just too new to the program, and don't know enough about its interface and myriad of controls yet.. like I said.. I just installed it over the weekend, and I feel like I'm a child thrown into a "Top Chef" competition.. lousy analogy, but that's the best I can come up with off the top of my head..

It's a shame it doesn't have some kind of "turn on recording mode", such that I could say "I want to do this", and then you could turn on a recording mode that would record all your mouse movements, and save it out as some kind of file that I could play back..

Back when Amiga was THE graphics computer, there was an outfit that made programs that did EXACTLY that.. they ran along-side the program you wanted to learn, and you'd just sit back and run their macros, and watch what happened on the screen, and then you could duplicate it on your own..

Then again, maybe I didn't properly describe what I'm trying to achieve, and showing you a photograph of one of my old class projects would describe it visually, better than I could describe it in words..

ARPro3 DOESN'T have any kind of "recording" mode, does it?..

I'll be back.. ;-) ..

Thanks..
    Harv

Hi Hrlazer, I am trying to get a mental picture as to what you mean.

Ok try this, not sure if this is what you mean, but if we don't communicate pictorially it will be very difficult.

Do you mean something like this.

I know the first image is diffuse not sharp, but the gloop does this automatically, the ink pen manually.

No recording mode in artrage, Ive been using it for 5 years. You could design (or get a friendly experienced rager) to design you a sticker spray 'art brush preset'.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Jules; 03-08-2011 at 01:26 PM.
    You can view all my other artwork here http://spookyjules.blogspot.co.uk/

The one on the right is it!..

Hi, Jules..

The outlined blob on the right is EXACTLY what I'm trying to achieve.. and failing..

Can you give me a step-by-step as to how you did it?..

Thanks..
    Harv

Quote Originally Posted by hrlaser View Post
    Hi, Jules..

The outlined blob on the right is EXACTLY what I'm trying to achieve.. and failing..

Can you give me a step-by-step as to how you did it?..

Thanks..
    Harv
    Hi Harv, its really easy, the top layer will be the ink pen, the thinness of the ink line will depend on the size or your paper. The watercolour layers will go below the ink layer (drag the layer panels). To blend the watercolours use multiple layers and then blend each colour into one another. Ok.

If you need more help let me know, might be tomorrow because its half past midnight here in the UK.

Another approach

To get smooth borders on the gloop pen, do this.

1. Set canvas or layer setting to zero roughness and zero grain. This will keep the edges from running.
    2. Meanwhile set gloop pen settings to: pressure 50%, Outer blur 8%, edge width 26%, inner blur 25%, fill opacity zero, Opacity 100% - this will yield a smooth line and no color on either side of the line. Minor changes in the settings will vary the smoothness, darkness, edge, etc.

To put color in enclosed forms: Use the FILL tool:

1. Settings: Opacity 35%, Spread 42%
    2. Select a color and tap pen in an enclosed section of a form. Tapping in the same form more than once darkens the color (makes it more opaque).

See example with these settings below accomplished in one layer with no filter. Changing any of the settings for both tools yields an infinite variety of alternatives - REALLY almost infinite.

Meanwhile, with JUST the gloop pen, if you'll allow the border color to be the same opaque color as an internal tint, you can produce terrific affects - see painting below which is 100% with the gloop pen, no other tools.

This is pretty easy in AR3 - there are numerous other methods to get the effect you describe, and countless subtle variations on it. Jules's method is a beautiful one.

I note my solution isn't an "automatic" action. It's not a filter. But it's pretty darn fast, and gives you a LOT of artistic control over the result.

Edit: There MAY be other PS or other filters for this too. You might pop over to the technical support section of the forum and post the same question there where you might get a faster technical response from some who might know - and the Rage team will certainly give you feedback about whatever they know.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gloop-fill 1.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	99.5 KB 
ID:	53487   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	glooparama-ARUP.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	432.9 KB 
ID:	53488  
    Last edited by byroncallas; 03-08-2011 at 07:15 PM.
    // "Appreciation fosters well-being. Be well." - Byron
    //
    My ArtRage Paintings Here
    // My Comprehensive AR4 & 3 Thread Here
    64 bit Win8Pro, 16GB Ram, Intel i7 Quad Core - 8 threads; Wacom Intuios 4

I think that hits the spot Byroncallas its making me want to do something like this now

Just tweaking your setting there Byroncallas, remember to keep your stylus pen completely vertical to get the line more precise. Paper smooth setting.

The ink pen and fill is a good one for this. (image far right)

Byron can you please explain the fill tool more when using it with the gloop pen, how do you fill inside a glooped form? Fill just adds colour to entire paper (doesnt work like it does with ink pen) Thanks.
    Last edited by Jules; 03-08-2011 at 11:05 PM.

we should get the guys to move this thread to art projects. seriously, would be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by [I
    Jules;343029]Just tweaking your setting there Byroncallas, remember to keep your stylus pen completely vertical to get the line more precise. Paper smooth setting.

The ink pen and fill is a good one for this. (image far right)

Byron can you please explain the fill tool more when using it with the gloop pen, how do you fill inside a glooped form? Fill just adds colour to entire paper (doesnt work like it does with ink pen) Thanks.
    [/I]
    Jules, I've made a preset of your gloop setting - it's particularly nice for this exercise.

The reason the fill is filling the whole paper is because your line is so thin that your spread setting on the fill tool is spreading over the line. Set the spread setting to 4% and you should be OK (see example below - second image). You have to play with this setting a bit depending on the thickness and integrity of the line. Playing with the fill settings, both opacity and spread, allow for a lot of variety in the effects when you've prepared a complex set of fill shapes with various line thicknesses.

The attached painting (first image - Out for a Stroll) was done entirely with the gloop pen to make the edges and the fill tool to fill color. It was an experiment testing just these features.

Albert: Hey, good suggestion.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Out For A Stroll-ARUP.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	447.7 KB 
ID:	53497  
    Last edited by byroncallas; 03-09-2011 at 03:18 AM.
    // "Appreciation fosters well-being. Be well." - Byron
    //
    My ArtRage Paintings Here
    // My Comprehensive AR4 & 3 Thread Here
    64 bit Win8Pro, 16GB Ram, Intel i7 Quad Core - 8 threads; Wacom Intuios 4