ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Canvas vs Layer textures? I'm confused

Canvas vs Layer textures? I'm confused

I can easily add/change canvas textures..they update even before you click OK.

with layer textures, nothing changes. Do I not understand what that's for?

and yes, I un-check "Use Canvas Texture" while in the Layer Texture box.

a
    Last edited by archer; 03-07-2011 at 09:57 AM.

As an example, create a two layer document.

Leave the first layer with the default canvas setting. Select the default chalk tool and place a stroke of media on it

Right click the second layer, go to 'Edit canvas texture' and choose 'diagonal grain' from the 'art papers' section. Click OK and make another stroke with the chalk tool on the second layer.

You'll see that the canvas appearance for the entire document doesn't change ( this is defined by the canvas setting ), but the actual texture of layer 2 is different from the texture of the base layer. It's effectively like having a transparent canvas on layer 2 with a different texture whih means that you have the ability to have a different texture on layer 2 without changing the visual appearance of your overall canvas.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

I see...so, it works on the brush strokes of that second layer..

Sorry, my example was a bit confusing in one respect. Changing the layer texture will affect the brush strokes of any layer you change it for, including the first layer. Layer texture is independant from canvas texture and appearance which is an underlying property of the document.

The default behavior for layers is to follow the canvas texture, but they can be individually changed to use different textures. If you change the texture of a layer then add a new layer, the new layer will by default inherit the texture of the previous layer.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

yeah, that is what I thot you meant, with the exception of the inheritance; good to know that, too!