ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: can selections be saved?

can selections be saved?

I don't see how..I see where I can invert a selection, but not save one for later use.

a

A simple way to save a selection is to copy and paste it to a new layer and then export the layer to any number of file types (png, jpg, psd, tiff, etc.). There is an export layer command on the drop-down menu for each layer on the layer panel.

The limitation is to remember that a selection only affects the content of the selected layer (saves the content of the selection in the selected layer). If you want to save a selection "area" that encompasses all layers you'll need to merge all layers, make the selection, and copy and paste to a new layer before the export. If you wish to retain layers this will require that you work from a file copy and preserve the original for further work.

Regardless, the process is simple in most cases. I won't be surprised if someone else (like someonesane) has a simpler solution, but this one does work. For selections to a single layer it's very fast.
    // "Appreciation fosters well-being. Be well." - Byron
    //
    My ArtRage Paintings Here
    // My Comprehensive AR4 & 3 Thread Here
    64 bit Win8Pro, 16GB Ram, Intel i7 Quad Core - 8 threads; Wacom Intuios 4

Actually, my methods are similar, Byron. Although, I don't tend to need them beyond the image I'm working on, so saving them as an image isn't normally necessary for me. Since I don't need them beyond the current image, I usually do the following:
    1 - Create a layer Group, by clicking on the layer panels Menu tab, and selecting "Add Layer Group".

2 - If it's not already active, select the desired area.

3 - Create a new layer within the Layer Group.
    If there is no layer already in the group, you need to create a new layer outside the group first, and then drag it into the group. You will then be able to just select that layer, and click the "new" tab to create new layers inside the group.
    4 - Fill the selection with the fill tool.

5 - Repeat steps 2 - 4 for any selections you wish to "save", and keep them all in the Layer Group created in step 1
    This way, the selection fills are kept organized, and when I need to recreate a selection, I simply select the layer in the group that represents that selection, and go to Edit > Select Layer Contents, to reselect the area.

Alternatively, the filled areas could be turned to stencils, which can be saved in the stencil panel, for later use.
    Last edited by Someonesane; 03-07-2011 at 05:27 PM.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

SOS, yes. Like you I don't usually need a selection outside the project I'm working on either. My "easy" method has just been to save the selection to a new layer and then hide the layer until I need it. The export action would only make useful sense if the selection were to be used in another project. I'll have to try your layer group method too - at first glance I'm not sure I understand the "why" for a new group unless it's maybe for organizing a LOT of saved selections????

For anyone else reading, yes, yes, yes, on making stencils from selections saved to new layers. Multiple benefits.
    //

I put them in groups when I think I may have a need to save a large number of area selections. I also do it when I might need to make a single selection from a number of smaller areas, because I can simply duplicate the whole group, hide the ones I don't want in it, and merge it. Then I can make a selection from the merged layers. It's mostly for keeping things ordered.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Quote Originally Posted by Someonesane View Post
    I put them in groups when I think I may have a need to save a large number of area selections. I also do it when I might need to make a single selection from a number of smaller areas, because I can simply duplicate the whole group, hide the ones I don't want in it, and merge it. Then I can make a selection from the merged layers. It's mostly for keeping things ordered.
    That seems to make good sense - a way of keeping order when there are lots of "saves". I'll give that a try.
    //