ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Traditional Artists Still Don't Get It

Traditional Artists Still Don't Get It

After posting my latest image at Wet Canvas, I was reading some reactions. For the most part, they were affirmative. However, ther is still a core of traditional painters who think what we do digitally is somehow not as good. I usually let this slide, but This Morning, it just hit me the wrong way - HERE IS MY RESPONSE>>>

I really appreciate your comments. Thank you.

As for those of you who say "I can always tell" digital." If you read the description, I state what it is. Your statement says to me that my creations are somehow "Less" in your eyes because of the tools I use. I find that type of comment a bit condescending. I have posted many Images that are visually indistinguishable from old media. (With these little exercises, I am just playing. )
    When Van Ark started painting oils on canvas, I'm sure there was a bevy of "traditional" painters who derided him for being less than authentic because of using New Tools.
    I have found my sales have actually gone up in the last 2 years, as I have embraced this new technology.
    What makes the Artist isn't the tool, it is the creative spark. I used traditional media for 30 yrs, and can do anything in the Old way, as I now do with my new tools. The New Tools are just Better.
    When the Camera Obscura was discovered, there was a quantum leap in representational imagry. Digital is the new Camera Obscura.
    And, just as an aside, Every image uploded to this site is now digital. And each of you has the ability to manipulate that (now digital) image in a myriad of ways because of that. (And I'm sure many of you have).
    My Website - SkylarArt.com
    "Beauty Draws those who Draw Beauty" - Skylar

Very well said, my friend. On other hand, judging by my own experience - you are wasting your time, trying to proof your point. There will be always nay-sayers, just for the sake of it. I had a lot of such discussions, with people i respect - most of them still think that "digital art is done by pressing few buttons", and they simply refuse to understand and call it "art" at all. But it's not just the digital art, this is a subject discussed for centuries, and it always arises when something new comes up
    "I'm a fuel injected suicide machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the out-of-controller!"

Quote Originally Posted by L Skylar Brown View Post
    After posting my latest image at Wet Canvas, I was reading some reactions. For the most part, they were affirmative. However, ther is still a core of traditional painters who think what we do digitally is somehow not as good. I usually let this slide, but This Morning, it just hit me the wrong way - HERE IS MY RESPONSE>>>

I really appreciate your comments. Thank you.

As for those of you who say "I can always tell" digital." If you read the description, I state what it is. Your statement says to me that my creations are somehow "Less" in your eyes because of the tools I use. I find that type of comment a bit condescending. I have posted many Images that are visually indistinguishable from old media. (With these little exercises, I am just playing. )
    When Van Ark started painting oils on canvas, I'm sure there was a bevy of "traditional" painters who derided him for being less than authentic because of using New Tools.
    I have found my sales have actually gone up in the last 2 years, as I have embraced this new technology.
    What makes the Artist isn't the tool, it is the creative spark. I used traditional media for 30 yrs, and can do anything in the Old way, as I now do with my new tools. The New Tools are just Better.
    When the Camera Obscura was discovered, there was a quantum leap in representational imagry. Digital is the new Camera Obscura.
    And, just as an aside, Every image uploded to this site is now digital. And each of you has the ability to manipulate that (now digital) image in a myriad of ways because of that. (And I'm sure many of you have).

I tried to find your thread on WetCanvas, but couldn't. Do you have a link to the thread? I'd be interested in following it. Thanks.

Thanks, Guys, for commenting. This is an on-going argument among those who are comfortable with what is, and those who want to explore what might be, I think...
    Here is the thread - http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=923775

- It is a weekly challenge where a group of pix are presented, and participants can choose what and which images to use. I usually combine several into one image. Often doing more than one a weekend. The catch is a 2-hr time limit on each image.

This argument isn't generational, per se, as I am 66, and definately not a new kid on the block. I do embrace new ideas, tho. I think that Life Is Learning - There is no end, 'til the end, if you get my drift!
    Last edited by L Skylar Brown; 03-07-2011 at 03:27 PM.
    My Website - SkylarArt.com
    "Beauty Draws those who Draw Beauty" - Skylar