ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Goose, A Cat & Some Flowers

A Goose, A Cat & Some Flowers

This is a little piece done for last weekend's challenge at Wet Canvas. I wasn't going to post it here, as it is just a glorified doodle to me. The reason I chose to post, is to once again point out what Digital Artists are up against from their "Traditionalist" peers. Most feedback was nice, however, a few took umbridge, by saying they can "always tell" digital.
    HERE was my response (Feel free to use it yourself...)
    "I really appreciate your comments. Thank you.
    As for those of you who say "I can always tell" digital." If you read the description, I state what it is. Your statement says to me that my creations are somehow "Less" in your eyes because of the tools I use. I find that type of comment a bit condescending. I have posted many Images that are visually indistinguishable from old media. (With these little exercises, I am just playing. )
    When Van Ark started painting oils on canvas, I'm sure there was a bevy of "traditional" painters who derided him for being less than authentic because of using New Tools.
    I have found my sales have actually gone up in the last 2 years, as I have embraced this new technology.
    What makes the Artist isn't the tool, it is the creative spark. I used traditional media for 30 yrs, and can do anything in the Old way, as I now do with my new tools. The New Tools are just Better.
    When the Camera Obscura was discovered, there was a quantum leap in representational imagry. Digital is the new Camera Obscura.
    And, just as an aside, Every image uploded to this site is now digital. And each of you has the ability to manipulate that (now digital) image in a myriad of ways because of that. (And I'm sure many of you have)."
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by L Skylar Brown; 03-07-2011 at 06:47 AM.
    My Website - SkylarArt.com
    "Beauty Draws those who Draw Beauty" - Skylar

Love that splash of red with the flowers Skylar and the cat seems to want to know who put him in there. Great painting once again
    Sometimes...I remember better with my eyes closed

My Gallery
    http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/6307

Thanks Coops. Here are refs I used...
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by L Skylar Brown; 03-07-2011 at 08:08 AM.

Hurray for you Skylar, for defending digital painting, I did traditional oil painting and had to give it up because of migraines, the smell of the paint and turpintine hit me like a hammer over my head, I missed it so much and wet to pencils but still felt something was missing until my son mentioned Artrage, as he wanted to get me back to painting, I just love this program so much, no smell and no mess to clean up and most of all no migraines.
    I dont know why some people think that digital painting is easier, I had to practise every day (but loved it) and now I feel that I am not missing out on my painting anymore, so thanks to AR and all you members that have made me a very happy lady with the help and support that is given in this forum......your painting is beautiful Skylar, but I enjoy all your painting

Having worked in the photography industry for years, we thought digital could not surpass film--it has gone beyond anything I could have imagined 25 years ago. Same with painting--how could digital every look "real"? With AR, it again has gone beyond what I can do with paint. I do still like painting, but I love AR!

Pat - Thanks! This discussion always appears when a new idea takes hold, and threatens the Status-Quo. Digital is Now! All previous media is Then. It thrills me every time I start a new project. It's like the excitement I discovered as a kid when I found my natural talent for creating imagry.

Mac - Isn't it amazing. I also thought you could never eclipse film, now I have 3 arcane (film) cameras languishing in a closet, and 3 digitals in my car, my briefcase, and my pocket! The newest has Insane Resolution! And that's not even talking about my Blackberry, or my new Ipad!
    As far as digipaint - I am able to do More in my digital formats than I could do in traditional. My old paints and canvasses are disappearing under layers of dust - just like the past.

A fine and fun little painting Sky. As for the letter - right on of course - well said. On the whole, my position these days has been to decline this conversation with advocates stuck in a dead past because it usually isn't a conversation. It is usually only a shoring up of entrenched and stale positions with people who have lost imagination and the will to explore. I'd rather be engaged with those who see value in progress and human ingenuity. There are few more boring conversations than those with people who claim some kind of alliance to the creative spirit who simultaneously bemoan invention. There are more interesting people to engage and they are, fortunately, everywhere among us. They make getting up each day invigorating and worthwhile.

Edit: we crossed-posted. I love the enthusiasm in your last post.
    // "Appreciation fosters well-being. Be well." - Byron
    //
    My ArtRage Paintings Here
    // My Comprehensive AR4 & 3 Thread Here
    64 bit Win8Pro, 16GB Ram, Intel i7 Quad Core - 8 threads; Wacom Intuios 4

"There are few more boring conversations than those with people who claim some kind of alliance to the creative spirit who simultaneously bemoan invention"
    One of the best statements I have ever read on this subject!!!
    Thank you, Byron.
    (please forgive me if I use it in the future)

Quote Originally Posted by L Skylar Brown View Post
    "There are few more boring conversations than those with people who claim some kind of alliance to the creative spirit who simultaneously bemoan invention"
    One of the best statements I have ever read on this subject!!!
    Thank you, Byron.
    (please forgive me if I use it in the future)
    You're forgiven.
    // "Appreciation fosters well-being. Be well." - Byron
    //
    My ArtRage Paintings Here
    // My Comprehensive AR4 & 3 Thread Here
    64 bit Win8Pro, 16GB Ram, Intel i7 Quad Core - 8 threads; Wacom Intuios 4

love it..........