ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Colouring traditional inking with ArtRage?

Question Colouring traditional inking with ArtRage?

Hi all! I'm using ArtRage studio pro, and I was wondering if there was a way to colour my fine liner drawings digitally.

Basically, what I want is to keep all the lines and dots of this picture, but make all the white space transparent, so that I can apply the colour on a layer behind my inking... I know it can be done in things like Photoshop, but I don't have it....

Thanks in advance guys!

Paste your line work into artrage.

Create a new layer below that layer.

Go back to your top layer (with the artwork) and change the blending mode to "multiply".

Paint in the bottom layer (empty) and you'll get the desired result.
    Last edited by spyres; 03-06-2011 at 07:45 AM.

The technique Spyres has recommended is one I've been using for years, in a number of different art programs, with good results. If, however, that doesn't suit your needs, there are two other methods that come to mind. The first is an easy one. Since you're background is nice and white, you may be able to get away with importing the image as a stencil, and just filling in the gaps. The other idea will only work if you have ArtRage Studio Pro, because it requires a filter. The filter is called Eraser Classic and is a Free download. Just import the image into ArtRage, and use the filter to erase the white areas. There's a bar that can be used to adjust the tolerance of the color grab, but if it doesn't get it all, lock the layer transparency and then hit the layer with one of the tools to fill in the rest.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

You could use GIMP a PS like program that is there for all major platforms.
    And come at no cost.
    http://www.gimp.org

Thanks for the ideas guys! *scurries off to try them out*

Quote Originally Posted by Someonesane View Post
    The first is an easy one. Since you're background is nice and white, you may be able to get away with importing the image as a stencil, and just filling in the gaps.
    What a fantastically simple idea! Why didn't I think of this before?!

Hi Bluetabbycat, Iíve also been thinking about how to colour an ink drawings.

Really hope you donít mind too much, but I took a small section of your drawing and added some background colours using the felt pen and the multiply blending mode method. Based on my quick experiment and depending on how much colour detail you plan to put in, I think it will be easier to work with a fairly largish scan - obviously not so large that ArtRage gets overloaded.

The blue and orange versions are were made by adjusting the layer colour hue. Something I've recently discovered! Canít wait to see your drawing in colour although it looks pretty cool now, especially the trees.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Good planets are hard to find - help look after ours.

Hi all! Thanks for all your ideas! I decided to go with Someonesane's idea of uploading the original as a stencil!

I've uploaded the finished pic along with some others I'm proud of in the Gallery forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluetabbycat View Post
    Hi all! Thanks for all your ideas! I decided to go with Someonesane's idea of uploading the original as a stencil!

I've uploaded the finished pic along with some others I'm proud of in the Gallery forum.
    Hi Blue, yeh making a stencil may be one of the easier and quicker ways round it, I used this technique too. Im looking forward to what you do with your drawing. Have fun.
    You can view all my other artwork here http://spookyjules.blogspot.co.uk/

There is also a free plugin called GHost, that does just that. Find it at flaming pear.
    Just say: "Rage It", because we already know it's art.

My ArtRage 3 and 4 Gallery------My Site ------- BROWSE MY BOOK