ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Crashing & Tracing menu can not be accessed in 1.05

Crashing & Tracing menu can not be accessed in 1.05

I'm running AR 1.05 on iPad with 4.2.1 - I have had several crashes and now the app deleted a completed paint layer (about 6 hours of work) - also now the Tracing menu (which I use a lot) is not accessible... when I tap on the Reference icon or the Tracing icon the Reference menu comes up and will not go away by tapping on either icon again... tapping on other icons will make the Ref menu disappear. BTW - when I'm working in AR it's the only app that's running.

Regarding the reference/tracing menu: If you tap the button and it displays an image selector rather than a panel that contains your already loaded images, you won't be able to dismiss it by tapping the button again. Tap outside the image picker to get rid of it.

If the reference/tracing panel is displaying images you have already selected rather than an image picker, and they are not vanishing, then it may relate to the other issue below.

It sounds like your iPad is out of memory and this has probably caused the crash. Has the memory warning icon been visible? If so, your iPad may need to be rebooted (see the help system in the app via the ? button, there's a Memory section there). If the image is big and has lots of references, lots of paint on layers etc. then it may be too big for the device to handle, in which case you can remove references to clear memory but rebooting is probably also a good idea.

I'd suggest making sure the automatic save prompt is turned on (in the Settings app on the iPad) and when the save prompt icon appears in the toolbar, tapping that to save the project. Occasionally saving a duplicate can also help in cases where a problem occurs when saving.

Hope that helps!
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Matt... thanks for your prompt and courteous reply. I don't recall seeing the Out of Memory icon, but I'll surely be watching for it.

I have the 64Gb iPad and I seem to recall reading that this model has more RAM available than the smaller versions... even if I'm wrong on this issue, just as a general working policy I always only have AR running when I'm working on a painting project because I know these painting apps really use a lot of memory. I'm aware of the double tap Home button method of seeing what's running - this is how I ensure that AR is the only app running.

BTW - I do have the Auto Save function turned ON and I use it, as well as just manually saving quite often. As a general rule I usually only have three or four Layers in a painting because I have noticed that the save time goes up when there are more Layers.

But here's a question about efficient memory usage - would it be better to...

1 - Paint for a while (putting lots of brush strokes into memory that could be Undone) and then Save and close the current painting and reopen it to continue painting?

--- OR ---

2 - Paint for a while (putting lots of brush strokes into memory that could be Undone) and then Save and close the current painting and close AR? Then start AR again and continue painting.

...the question at hand is, at what point in the painting/Saving process does AR delete all the old brush strokes from memory and allow me to have more memory to work with?
    Last edited by jmantze; 03-06-2011 at 01:52 PM.

All models of the iPad 1 have 256Mb of RAM. We actually use storage space (in your case 64Gb) for Undo because the amount of memory that would be required is prohibitive.

Painting for long periods of time is generally fairly memory neutral unless you are adding more area of paint to the painting. For example, a single layer that is filled with paint will take up the same amount of memory even if you keep adding paint to it for a while. Generally the only time you need extra memory is when you add something such as another layer, or reference/tracing images.

As a general rule, save when the save prompt appears (save a duplicate occasionally) and reboot your iPad from time to time. If the memory warning appears on the toolbar, that's a sign that the operating system has detected memory is low and it's a good indication that there's stuff taking up space. At this point, it might be good to quit the app, close all parked apps, and reboot the iPad. If it happens frequently, let me know and we can look in to it further.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Thanks Matt... that really clears up the whole issue and gives me a much better grasp on how to efficiently proceed with my paintings. JM