ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: pinholes in chalk painting

pinholes in chalk painting

Can someone help me, I have done my first chalk painting, it has turned out not to bad, but for some reason I have all these little white pinholes in the whole painting, I have tried blending with the knife but will not take out the pinholes, could someone tell me why this would happen.....I have done a copy that Sketch did and his does not have the pinholes in it....thanks for any help at all.....Pat

The lower the Pressure the Charcoal tool is set to use, the less it will dig into the canvas. This leaves gaps of color where the texture keeps the tool from pushing color into the canvas grains. Setting the pressure to use a higher percentage will help to fill in the gaps, while initially drawing the image. However, since your image is done, you could try creating a layer underneath all your current layers and filling it in with a color (or colors) using a different tool, to make the gaps less noticeable.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Hi Pat
    Using Fill on a layer uderneath seems not to solve the problem however, using the hard wet blender does help as you can see from screenshot

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	109.5 KB 
ID:	53269

Edit to add: the above screenshot is on Basic Paper -50% Roughness, 50% Grain and adjusting the roughness, grain setting may also help.

Hope this helps
    Last edited by Chuckart; 03-02-2011 at 06:38 AM.

Hi Pat, I just replied to this question in my Chalk and Color thread in the main gallery and just saw you had posted this here as well. Great advice in this thread as well, hope it works out for you!
    "The significance is hiding in the insignificant. Appreciate everything."
    Eckhart Tolle

Thankyou all so much for your reply, really appreciate all the advice and will try out every one of them, happy painting and have a great day

Use chalk on the cel canvas to totally eliminate those pin holes.
    Try to see as many angles of vision as possible...no single one of us has a "handle" on the whole picture.