ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3D AR3 (I hope) - added explanation

3D AR3 (I hope) - added explanation

An exercise. If you blow up full screen and stand back several feet it should produce a fairly decent 3D effect.

edit: I posted a visual explanation below in the thread for those interested in how the relief was created.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Extreme Bump-ARUP.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	481.0 KB 
ID:	53216  
    Last edited by byroncallas; 03-01-2011 at 11:21 PM.
    // "Appreciation fosters well-being. Be well." - Byron
    //
    My ArtRage Paintings Here
    // My Comprehensive AR4 & 3 Thread Here
    64 bit Win8Pro, 16GB Ram, Intel i7 Quad Core - 8 threads; Wacom Intuios 4

With those grain, metallic colors and waves it gives an absolutely stunning and powerful impression of relief and tangibility! Spectacular!
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

I love this Byron. It gives me a sense of security-like a comfortable blanket to crawl into for a nice nap during a calming rain.

Sandy, Caesar - thanks you two.
    //

-----------

Like smelting metals wonderful colors

Suha, thanks for stopping by and commenting. Much appreciated.
    //

Excellent 3D effect!!!! You're right, stepping back really accentuates The Bump! Interesting though, when I first looked at it - it appeared to be more of a huge indentation rather than a bump but as I allowed my mind to shift the direction of the light source it became a bump. Great texture and color as well! I wonder how much the colors used (in the bump vs. surrounding the bump) have to do with the effect? Very cool as always Byron!
    "The significance is hiding in the insignificant. Appreciate everything."
    — Eckhart Tolle

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Sketchism71 View Post
    Excellent 3D effect!!!! You're right, stepping back really accentuates The Bump! Interesting though, when I first looked at it - it appeared to be more of a huge indentation rather than a bump but as I allowed my mind to shift the direction of the light source it became a bump. Great texture and color as well! I wonder how much the colors used (in the bump vs. surrounding the bump) have to do with the effect? Very cool as always Byron!
    Eddie, you've demonstrated how a name can mess with brain. Actually, your first vision is the correct one - a, hopefully, huge indentation accentuated even more by the bump lighting effects in the "frame". Both the indentation and the frame make use of AR bump lighting effects. But each is handled in a different way combined for a visual trick that can enhance the 3d effect. I'm going to post the "trick" here later for anyone who is interested. I'm also going to change the name of the thread, as I see it can produce some confusion. I'll be back with the little demo. And thanks Eddie - a) for your always great feedback and b) for revealing the wonderful powers of bad communication.

Edit (a little later): Here is a brief explanation. It's not a tutorial. There are considerable steps left out. But the idea is here. The relief is developed by creating a textured image from one of the bump paints (oil brush, tube paint, glitter) and finding a section in it that you want to use to create a "super relief". I've circled the section I want to develop in image #1. Image number #2 to #4 is a process of continuing to crop the image closer and closer to the target section while increasing the dpi with each sizing and cropping. Along about image #3 and continuing with image #4 you must use the blender to clean up a host of errant pixels from the zooming and increased dpi. The increased dpi with each zoom and pixel clean-up are essential to the process. During this zooming and dpi upsizing phase the natural bump and relief from the original texture is "blown up" and cleaned up giving and appearance of a very deep relief. Actually, it's a zoom into the relief which is smoothed by up-sizing. By image #4 and carried into #5 you can start to use traditional methods with shadow and highlight to provide greater "depth". Mostly I used the airbrush and a touch of chalk. In image #5, a frame was added with the standard bump qualities from both glitter and tube paint reformed with the blur blender. This new up-bump further enhances the relief in the total image - the main reason it is added to the painting. That's it in a nutshell, but leaving out steps for the metallic and coloring effects, etc.

You could of course say "Why the hell go to all that trouble - why not just paint it this way directly?. My answer is, yes, you're probably right, it's probably a much more sensible approach. But, hey, this was just an exercise.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	144.3 KB 
ID:	53246   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	425.6 KB 
ID:	53247   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	422.1 KB 
ID:	53248   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	422.3 KB 
ID:	53249   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	356.6 KB 
ID:	53250  

Last edited by byroncallas; 03-01-2011 at 10:52 PM.
    //

Wow! I feel like I could reach right into this beautiful image! Great, great effect!

Thanks Mac.
    //