ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Filters on OSx

1. Filters on OSx

I can't get any filters to appear within Artrage - I've tried by identifying my existing photoshop plugins folder in the preferences box and by importing individual 8bf files to the Artrage filters folder, but all I get on the filters menu is "Redo last filter". I close and restart each time but nothing happens. I'm using Mac OS 10.6 - is this the source of my problem? Apart from that, everything else works beautifully.

8bf files are generally Windows versions of Photoshop filters. Can you verify that you are using the OS X version of the Filters? Do you have any third party filters you're using successfully in Photoshop on your Mac which you aren't able to use in ArtRage? If so, if you can let me know what the names of the filters are and their version if at all possible, that could help me to check it out here.

Adobe's own filters won't all work with ArtRage, as we don't have access to their internal standards, but ArtRage should work with most third party Photoshop filters and we're happy to take a look at any that don't in order to improve our compatibility.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

3. More info

Dave

Thank you for your very speedy response.

I have tried third party filters from "The Plugin Site" - all supposedly for Intel Macs running 0SX (but did not specify 10.6). BW Styler, Contrast Master and Light Machine caused Artrage to crash and with Photofreebies B/W and Sepia nothing happened apart from a progress bar flashing up briefly. As for the filters already installed in Photoshop i've tried accessing those by specifying the photoshop plugins folder through the Artrage preferences panel, but the plugins appear greyed out and do no appear in the Artrage filters menu. I also tried dragging and dropping individual plugins from the Photoshop folder to the Artrage folder but again the filters did not appear in the menu.

I also tried installing 3rd party filters into Photoshop with no success so I guess there must either be a problem with the OSX upgrade from 10.5 to 10.6 or there is some bit of software on my computer causing a conflict. If I can't find a solution then I suppose I'll just have to wait until a possible future upgrade. Meanwhile I'll have to work across PS and Artrage.

Thanks for the information, that's really useful. If Adobe's own filters aren't showing up in ArtRage, that is due to lack of compatibility. As we don't have access to Adobe's internal standards for their own filters, a large number of those will not be available.

Regarding the third party filters, if they aren't working with Photoshop on your Mac, it's unlikely that they'll work with ArtRage. It's possible that they are an older standard that won't run on the current version of OS X. I've managed to reproduce the crash with one of the filters, and we've made a note here to see if there's anything we can do.

If you have any other third party filters which are working with Photoshop, but not with ArtRage, feel free to let me know here or via email at support@artrage.com the names and versions of the filters and I'll take a look at those as well.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design