ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chalk and color study

Chalk and color study

Well I won't take full credit for how pretty this turned out and I will take no credit on the design - it's not mine. The original artist who's work I used for this study is Susan Sarback. She uses incredible color and light in her work. It appears she works in mainly pastels and in oil. I wasn't going to post this because it was just purely to study how she uses color and value as well as learn the chalk tool but I found it extremely useful as a learning tool. Next step is to hit the road with my camera in search of some interesting landscapes and try to put all this knowledge to work.

This is also the first image I have done using the chalk tool (it takes a little getting used to).

Thanks for checking it out!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chalk Study1.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	180.9 KB 
ID:	53174  
    "The significance is hiding in the insignificant. Appreciate everything."
    Eckhart Tolle

Sketch, so glad you did post this, it is beautiful, also it may help others (like me) with the chalk, still cant seem to get what I want from it, so if it is okay, I would like to download and copy this for practise, if that is okay with you

Sketch forgot to ask, is this all chalk or is oil also in this

It's beautiful Eddie. Very finely executed with your usual good eye for color and balance. Your work with the chalk seems expertly handled. You should be very pleased with the results (and you do seem to be ). Yes, will much look forward to this application against one of your own designs. Again, beautiful.
    // "Appreciation fosters well-being. Be well." - Byron
    //
    My ArtRage Paintings Here
    // My Comprehensive AR4 & 3 Thread Here
    64 bit Win8Pro, 16GB Ram, Intel i7 Quad Core - 8 threads; Wacom Intuios 4

Quote Originally Posted by pat1940 View Post
    Sketch, so glad you did post this, it is beautiful, also it may help others (like me) with the chalk, still cant seem to get what I want from it, so if it is okay, I would like to download and copy this for practise, if that is okay with you

Absolutely Pat
    ... Go for it! I would love to see how it turns out. It was 100% chalk tool (on different pressure and size settings at different times through the painting). You may just have to play around with the pressure setting as you get the feel of the tool. I used three layers. The bottom layer I used as a dark purplish canvas. Middle layer used as the chalk image itself and the top layer was a quick sketch that was turned off when I had all the colors blocked in. I painted on "Basic Paper" default settings at a size of 2700px X 1800px at 150 px/inch. Good Luck!

Byron - Thanks a bunch! I am happy with it but nowhere near as happy as I would be if it came from my brain!
    Last edited by Sketchism71; 02-27-2011 at 12:15 PM.
    Eckhart Tolle

I hear ya Eddie. From the brain will be the next one - and no doubt it will be killer.

BTW, your new Avatar is terrific. Have you ever posted the source painting? In the Avatar it's pretty darn cool.
    Last edited by byroncallas; 02-27-2011 at 12:53 PM. Reason: spellnig
    //

Quote Originally Posted by byroncallas View Post
    I here ya Eddie. From the brain will be the next one - and not doubt it will be killer.

BTW, your new Avatar is terrific. Have you ever posted the source painting? In the Avatar it's pretty darn cool.
    lol! I never posted the image here. I was messing around with color again the other night and needed a subject so I painted what was directly in front of me - my lamp table! I spent probably a whole 20 minutes on it and figured it probably would look pretty cool (very small) so it became my avatar... Thanks for noticing it... here is the original painting...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	My Lamp Still Life.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	53176  
    Eckhart Tolle

Eddie, The source for the Avatar is terrifically vibrant and immediate. I have to say I love it and suspect you're gonna get great feedback on it.
    //

beautiful. never seen a chalk piece that beautiful.
    I like the other painting as well. you are an amazing artist.

Albert and Byron - you both are way to kind! Thank you!
    Eckhart Tolle