ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wood Texture

Wood Texture

Been workin on a technique for painting wood textures using layers and the eraser tool...this is still a work in progress...tell me what You think
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Try to see as many angles of vision as possible...no single one of us has a "handle" on the whole picture.

You're far away and about to fully get it! Some appropriate fiber lines with the pencil could possibily help enhancing the textural illusion ...
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

I would agree with Cesare otherwise it is looking good
    Treat Others as you wish to be treated

http://mannafig.deviantart.com/

I think it looks a lot like redwood decking. I would however avoid copy and rotate of the planks. It spoils the illusion to see the repetitions of identical elements. Otherwise looking good.

This looks great Semd! It is bit more difficult to paint wood when it is a painting of just wood. A lot of painting has to do with an object in context with other objects around it. The viewers brain will tell them that the old barn is wood even if it is painted purple and green with very little wood texture to it. As far as an experiment in texture and an image of wood planks, you have done a fantastic job!
    "The significance is hiding in the insignificant. Appreciate everything."
    Eckhart Tolle

Terrific movement towards your goal. All the suggestions to move closer posted here are good ones.
    // "Appreciation fosters well-being. Be well." - Byron
    //
    My ArtRage Paintings Here
    // My Comprehensive AR4 & 3 Thread Here
    64 bit Win8Pro, 16GB Ram, Intel i7 Quad Core - 8 threads; Wacom Intuios 4

Looks cool. . . actually it looks like the wood on my book case which has way too many knots.

I would recommend that you don't make your knots so dark. The saturation levels are high which is sorta seductive while painting to keep it sort of vibrating and then numbing the optic nerve. But then when it's viewed later it can be seen as too hot.

It's a nice experiment which has you aiming the right direction. Not knowing your style, it's a little tough to comment about the level of detail, which is sort of between painterly impressions and detailed.

And as to your intended use, it's sort of an end point in itself, a study of trying to make it look like wood. So as such there is no visual hierarchy (how one leads the eye through a pic to show what's important) whereas in a painting you would know more how much detail would serve your painting and how little you could get away with. Much depends on your subject and your style.

But as a study of wood, it's nice with somewhat too much contrast. As you progress on your painting path, you will develop to where you can make marks in a more 'on purpose' way because you will know what works and what doesn't (however that shakes out for your look).

Keep pushing paint around. You created wood without question. Now it's a matter of selecting what kind and how it fits your needs. Good work!
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Very very nice Semd.

You´re certainly on to a useful technique here!
    The only problem with humor is that no one takes it seriously.