ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving stuff around on the canvas. Help!

Smile Moving stuff around on the canvas. Help!

I use Photoshop all the time. It allows you to create a squiggle for example. Then you just click on it and position it anywhere you like on the canvas.

I haven't found how to do that in Art Rage and it is very frustrating.

The only thing I can do is create objects and import them to Photoshop where I can position them anywhere I like.

I just bought Studio Pro thinking it would have this feature. But it doesn't.

Am I missing something? How do you grab something and move it?

Thanks so much!

To move the contents of a layer around in ArtRage:

-Click the transform tool in the tool picker ( next to the selection tool )
    -Click on the media you want to move and handles will appear around it
    -Drag it to where you want it to go. You can also rotate and scale it
    -Press enter or click outside the handles to confirm the change

You can do the same by right clicking the layer in the layer stack and choosing 'Transform layer contents'

If you want to perform a transform on one specific area of the layer, select it with the selection tool, then click on the media inside the selection using the transform tool.

See page 58 of the ArtRage Manual - 'The Transform Tool' for a more in depth explanation of the settings and usage.

I hope that helps!
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

3. I've been having trouble moving large-sized images. Clicking and dragging isn't working at all if the image is too large, so I'm using the "shift+arrow" to move ten pixels at a time; however, it's combersome for moving a selection 1000 pixels or so. Is there a way to move in bigger increments than 10 pixels?

Or, it would be great if I could put in a command to move the selection to the top of the canvas, bottom of the canvas, or center. There isn't anything like that I'm missing is there?

Thanks!

Emily

Try reduce canvas size and then import image. On an imported image reduce canvas size first from 100% if Canvas fills screen and then transform . You should be able to see and move image with the transform handles with no problems
    Last edited by Chuckart; 03-02-2011 at 01:43 PM.

5. I can see the image, it's just that nothing happens when I grab it with the mouse. The mouse pointer changes like it's going to work, but it doesn't. If it is not too big of an image, then it will move choppily so that I think it isn't working but then it will suddenly jump across the screen or even off the canvas. A small image works just fine.

A really large image won't move at all. I'm pretty sure it's a limitation of my computer system. I CAN move the image with the arrow keys, but it is very slow.

My question is whether there is a way to move the image more than 10 pixels at a time with the arrow key (shift+arrow moves the selected object 10 pixels at a time). I'd like to be able to move it like 100 pixels at a time, or just jump it to the top/bottom/center of the canvas.

6. Maybe I should clarify that when I say "big" and "large" I'm talking about pixels, not the size of the image on my screen.

Could be your computer limitation Emily. I have imported 3000 * 2200 image files and although the movement is not smooth i can move them and resize on my system which is Vista OS with Intel Core 2 Duo 2 ghz

Try something like http://www.gimp.org/ and use crop, intelligent scissors and paste (into new )or rescale options, save and then import into Artrage
    Last edited by Chuckart; 03-02-2011 at 04:02 PM.

Just rescaled a 3056 * 2292 down to 2000*1500 and saved as a jpg in Gimp reducing file from 1.07 mb down to 583kb and it seemed to help a little Emily

Quote Originally Posted by Emily848 View Post
    I've been having trouble moving large-sized images. Clicking and dragging isn't working at all if the image is too large, so I'm using the "shift+arrow" to move ten pixels at a time; however, it's combersome for moving a selection 1000 pixels or so. Is there a way to move in bigger increments than 10 pixels?

Or, it would be great if I could put in a command to move the selection to the top of the canvas, bottom of the canvas, or center. There isn't anything like that I'm missing is there?

Thanks!
    This is an old thread, but I have the same identical question, which was not answered in this thread. Emily wants to move more that 10 pixels at a time - the shift plus arrow key achieves ONLY 10 pixels at a time - cumbersome is right!! If someone has since found a solution, or there is a fix in a later version of ArtRage, I would be interested in hearing it.

-IT Jane

Left click within the Transformation rig and, while holding the mouse button down, drag the selection to where you want it. If you want to keep the selection snapped to the horizontal or vertical position, hold down your "Shift" key in conjunction with the Left mouse button while dragging.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.