ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Just saying hello and wondering about digital wood engraving effects (as you do!)

Just saying hello and wondering about digital wood engraving effects (as you do!)

Hi all, not been around much recently (Iím mostly a spectator at the best of times), but have just been flicking around the forum and looking in the gallery, and have seen loads of amazing paintings and new names, which is really great.

Wood engraving
    After recently seeing some prints made by Eric Ravilious at a local art gallery, Iíve become more and more interested in wood engravings (the detail is amazing in the actual print). An example: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ilious1925.png

This got me wondering if anyone here had tried or knows how to emulate a wood engraving effect in ArtRage or digitally. Iíve found a couple of Photoshop filters: Flaming Pear India Ink and Andromeda Cutline, but both are expensive ($30/£19 and $89/£54 respectively Ė more than the price of ArtRage!). Does anyone know if itís possible to create a similar effect using a sticker or stencil?

Below is a quick test I made using the India Ink filter, which I really like, but I couldnít get the Cutline filter to work (old PC syndrome I think - and probably just as well!).

All the best, Jono.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Good planets are hard to find - help look after ours.

In ArtRage 3 pro version, there's a wood burning brush (sticker spray, group:art brushes). I don't know if that's what you're talking about though.

Here's something that I did this evening playing about with it. The first image is just the wood burning brush on brown cell canvas. On the second one, I added some air brushing in to add colour. It's a rush job, so I'm sorry it's not very good. :3
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	catwoodwip1.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	53105   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	catwood.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	53106  

Henry you do amazing tutorials! I love revisiting them again and again.

Yes, I too had forgotten about the tutorials and how good they are. I did the eye one last year and I think it resulted in the best eye I've ever done - not saying much, but still... (see below).

I'm going to have a go at the lino cutting one over the weekend. Iíll post my result here.

Muir, I'll give that sticker brush a try. Looks like it might have some potential. For some reason I've not really got into stickers and all those options! But I know they do hold great promise for the future. Thanks for doing the excellent demo painting.
    Last edited by Jono; 03-05-2011 at 07:15 AM.

Deviated from the linocut tutorial. Got led astray messing about layer colours and oil paint, sticker sprays and the like.

But anyhow, good fun...

Here are some variations:
    (click image to open gallery page)

Last edited by Jono; 03-05-2011 at 07:33 AM. Reason: Added link to gallery