ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Centering and alignment?

Centering and alignment?

Hi, All,

I'm new here. I'm enjoying ArtRage, but I need help with a workaround for aligning things. I've owned ArtRage for months but don't see a way to center a stencil on a page. I also don't see a way to show and hide a grid. The closest thing I've found to the grid is having to create a layer, use the grid stencil to create a grid, and then use that layer to help align things. In other words, it's taking an enormous amount of time to do what I'd think would have been built into the program in the first place.

Am I missing a show/hide grid function someplace? Would you tell me the easiest way to center a stencil shape?

Thanks much!

cg

I'm afraid there is no built in Grid feature for any of the ArtRages, so far.

One easy way to find the dead center of the canvas, is to position two rulers on the canvas, corner to corner, forming an "X" which, of course, marks the spot(EDIT - Even better then the rulers, use the Pencil tool, hold "Ctrl", and click and drag to create a straight line from corner to corner, to form the "X"). One could also fill a layer of the canvas, and then make a stencil out of that layer. The dead center of the canvas is where the pin is for that stencil.

With the center found, import the stencil you need centered, and just line up the stencil so that its Pin is over the center mark.

If you need a grid, I know of a few ways to make them pretty easily, but one way (the quickest) uses a 3rd party filter (so if one doesn't have access to the filter, and AR Studio Pro, one is out of luck for that idea), and how a person plans to use them is a factor on whether a specific grid making method will be useful. For example, one could download and use Richard Rosenman's Grid Generator, and easily create a grid from a filled layer (Example 1 in the attached image). A person might also choose to create an "L" shape image tile, which could be imported into ArtRage as a canvas texture (Example 2a). One also may opt to paint over the canvas grid texture on a layer, allowing for the texture to be swapped out (Example 2b). It'd be less precise then the filter method, because the grid size depends on the Canvas Grain size settings. For those who don't have the option of using the filter, but want a precise grid, the rulers could always be used (using measurements, or just dividing the squares with cross sections, as in Example 3), but that takes some time, which you're trying to avoid.

Drawn on a single layer, the layer could just be hidden (by clicking on the eyeball icon of the layer), if one didn't want to see them, or one could turn the opacity down to make them transparent.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grids.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	260.5 KB 
ID:	52989  
    Last edited by Someonesane; 02-21-2011 at 04:36 PM.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

I feel your pain. How many times have I wished for Snap To capability for the stencils?! But you can make a grid in fairly easily (with the help of a PDF viewer like Acrobat or Foxit).

-First, go to one of the many sites that allows you to customize printable graph paper. (I particularly like the one at http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/.)
    -Then create your custom grid and open it up in your PDF viewer.
    -Use the Snapshot tool and CTRL-A to copy the grid.
    -Paste into ArtRage.
    -Finally, set the blend mode to Tint and keep it on its own layer.
    Cat Boxes, a web comic

Quote Originally Posted by terrygillooly View Post
    But you can make a grid in fairly easily (with the help of a PDF viewer like Acrobat or Foxit).

Hi terrygillooly,

That seems to be pretty similar to what the Grid Generator filter does. If you haven't tried it out yet, you might want to take a look at it. Once you have it, it's just a mater of filling a layer using the fill tool, and then using the filter to set the number of rows and columns needed. You can set the colors used for the cells and lines as well, so you can do the Multiply blend trick to make it a transparent overlay for the layers beneath it.

Here's a quick demonstration video of how it works: LINK

Thanks for the link! I ended up snagging several filters from that site. The Grid Generator worked really well, and I used it in conjunction with Eraser Classic so I didn't even have to resort to the blend mode trick.

The workaround I suggested is more for users without the ability to use PhotoShop filters. Also, if one is looking for something more exotic than the standard square grid, the linked site can generate hexes, iso-dots, etc.
    Cat Boxes, a web comic

Quote Originally Posted by terrygillooly View Post
    The workaround I suggested is more for users without the ability to use PhotoShop filters. Also, if one is looking for something more exotic than the standard square grid, the linked site can generate hexes, iso-dots, etc.
    Yes, I agree completely with that. It is a good way for those who don't have access to the filter option.

Another thought I had, for those looking to have quick access to showing, and hiding the grid, one may opt to load a grid image as a Tracing. This would allow the grid to be hidden or shown quickly, just hitting a shortcut key. The down side to this is that it coats the screen with a translucent white, regardless of whether that area was empty or not. The opacity of the tracing image can be adjusted though.

Thank you SOS and Thank You Richard Roseman for The Grid Generator.

@Someonesane -- thank you for this very helpful post!

Align to Canvas

The program does this automatically for tracing images- it puts the image right in the center of the canvas. If, however, I want to align text to the center of the canvas, I have to draw my own guidelines and eyeball it? This is bananas. This is really true?

Yes, it's true. ArtRage is a painting/drawing program first. Image editing and graphic design stuff, comes second.