ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Centaur - WIP

Centaur - WIP

This morning I decided to rework the Centaur... now beginning with a basic hand drawn perspective grid (something I never do which is daft), and then just made this an exercise in fantasy painting.

I think the perspective grid gave me the opportunity to work out a better composition than before and hopefully the right arm/hand looks more plausible?
    Also I re-sketched the centaur and drew the left hand reaching out towards the moths.
    Next step, painting more detail on the water and body...
    What do you think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CentaurWIP.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	94.7 KB 
ID:	52952  

Hmmm...very difficult...and I am not an expert. But if she would put her left arm down she can just touch the water only a few cm's away from her body, so the right arm is maybe too long ??
    And the shoulder of the right arm does not seems to be looking like it should be. Where the arm goes onto the body I see a shadow. If I feel my schoulder in that position there is some kind of lump instead of a "hole"?? Sorry...I did not find the right words in english, I hope you understand what I mean. The left shoulder is perfect...

I am somebody who tries to paint exactly like it is so it's hard for me to give you the right answers. Like the horse's tail, in real life, even if a horse hold's it's tail that high, the hair would kind of cover the parts below that....A tail consists of a lot of hair on the root. But if that is not want you want because it is fantasy art, it's fine....

Overall the painting looks very nice and a very nice composition too...!

Hi rowena

Stand in front of a largish mirror in a similar pose to your Centaur and i think you should be able to see what adjustments are needed.

Think your image will look great when finished

Thank you Vanity and Chuckart
    I haven't had much time recently to take up your good suggestions, but will do ASAP

nice

.. if u were to change the ripples around where the lower hand is, it would make it appear like the hand is not in the water.. where in Real life it probably wouldn't be.. .. i think that would be the easiest way to fix it if u were trying to convey it not being in the water .. otherwise i think its fine in or out...

Dear Rowena, I think I commented before on this one perhaps in the main gallery??? But I was admiring it again this morning. A beautiful fantasy. I love the palette as well, so calming and dreamy.

wow, this is excellent. I missed this thread. I did comment in the main gallery though. Quite a departure for you and you did an excellent job on this.
    I love the watercolor effect of the horse part and the fantasy lines of the tail.
    Really a beauty.
    Last edited by screenpainter; 04-28-2011 at 01:56 PM.