ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Drawing in Linux

Unhappy Drawing in Linux

Hi everyone

Recently I have decided to finally use Linux on my computer. Windows is so laggy and slow, when the Linux is not. But, being an artistic man, I want to draw under Linux too, and that is the problem - I don't see any good painting programs for Linux! GIMP is a good one, but it's not intended for drawing - it's for photo-editing... and it's very ugly and uncomfortable also (IMHO) - yet - we will see more in 2.8 version. MyPaint is nice, but it's in a "childish" state right now - no layers, no effects...

I would definitely prefer ArtRage (and many others too!), but it's run only under Wine and have some bad issues because of that (and what is sad, there's no news from Ambient Design about Linux version, though they told once that it's possible to port). I also like PaintTool SAI (another awesome program - it's quick, has many useful features and is only 4 MB in size!) - good for drawing comics/anime, but is not run under Linux too...

I still can't believe that in all these years there were no programmers, that would have managed to make a good alternative to Windows drawing programs... Sometimes I want to write my own, but I'm not experienced at it, and it would take months to study GIMP's sources or other, to get better understanding of how to write a program intended for painting...

Well... It's probably a bit 'in despair'-like post... I just don't want to stay on Windows anymore, but the lack of painting programs under Linux still holds me (another thing is the lack of good audio-players - I didn't like any, AIMP on Windows rocks! - but it's another story). If anyone can advice anything about my problem... Go on and do it)

P.S. My computer is old, so using of Virtual machine is unwanted, though possible...

How about using Windows emulation on Linux (ie: wine) ???

It can't launch some programs, but if it does - those work buggy (no pressure sensitivity/import-export errors/weird looking/etc.). It might be Wine's or program's faults, or it's just me, who can't tune things properly. Though I've been looking on some forums, and people there were talking about same problems...