ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 180 degree painting rotation? Please post details here

180 degree painting rotation? Please post details here

We've had a couple of users report that their painting became inverted, rotating 180 degrees, possibly while they were zooming using two fingers. While this shouldn't be damaging to the painting itself, it may mean you have an upside-down painting in your gallery and it's less than ideal having to flip your iPad over.

Important: Make sure you have updated to Artrage for iPad 1.05 first ( latest version as of this post ) as we made a number of improvements relating to rotation in this version.

To help us track the problem down, if you've seen this behavior can you let us know:

1/ What orientation your iPad was in when you created the painting in question e.g. portrait, home button at the bottom
    2/ Whether you set the painting up us as a portrait or landscape painting ( via the portrait / landscape toggle on the right ) when you created it
    3/ What orientation your iPad was in when the problem occured e.g. landscape, home button at the right
    4/ What you were doing at the time when it occured.

Thanks in advance for any feedback you can give, we're keen to find out what specific set of circumstances causes this. We've been unable to make this happen here, but I'll be continuing to try and reproduce it. You can also contact me directly via support@artrage.com if you prefer.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

This has happened to me a couple of times in 1.0.4. It may have happened in 1.0.3 as well.

1) Portrait.
    2) Don't remember.
    3) Portrait.
    4) Double tap to frame. Sometimes when I zoom I do an accidental double tap to frame at the end. That's when it happened.

I usually work with my ipad flat on the desk. I was thinking that maybe that had something to do with it. I save several revisions when I work, so it wasn't a big deal.

If it happens again, I'll take better notes.

Thanks for that. We put in specific fixes in 1.0.5 for a similar behavior, so I would recommend updating to 1.0.5 if you're not yet running it. Let me know if you see it in that version.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

I'm using version 1.0.5 and just had it happen to me.
    1) Landscape home button on right
    2) Landscape home button on right
    3) Landscape home button on right
    4) I was zooming in with my thumb an forefinger when the knuckle of my middle finger touched the screen and the painting flipped on me. I tried to do it again to get it to flip back but no luck.

Thank you. if you can recall, was this all in the same session of using ArtRage, from creating the painting to when the problem occured, and do you know if the iPad was rotated at all during the session before coming back to the original orientation?
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Can I also confirm with anyone who's seen this, does it also cause the affected painting to be upside-down in your gallery with respect to your other paintings, as well as when you're working with it? That would be very useful to know as it would give an indication of where the problem is occuring.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

I had the ipad sitting upright like a table easel and did not spin it around while working. Unfortunately I did not see what the painting looked liked in the gallery view because I was not intending to keep the painting in the first place, so I didn't save it and started a new one.

I thought I had stumbled upon another feature like in Studio where "H" and "V" flip the image so I didn't think much of it.

For me the painting was upside down in the gallery. But I just deleted it and continued from a previous revision.

It was not during the session when I created the file because I was already on revision 14 or 15. Whenever I'm done with a painting session I save as duplicate and continue from there on the next session.

I've had this a few more times now in 1.0.5

Once with the home button at the bottom, having never rotated it since creating the (new) painting. It flipped while I was zooming.

The other times have been in various rotated states, but nothing that I could recall exactly.

If you save the painting it does appear upside down in the gallery yes. If you don't save it it doesn't. If you just come back to the saved state the painting is still rotated.

I also noticed once that I came back to Artrage having pressed the home button and putting the ipad to sleep and the painting was rotated.. I know it wasn't rotated before I parked the app. That was a new one.

I've just had this happen to me.

I was painting a normal portrait painting with iPad in the normal portrait position. I exited the app. Switched off the iPad. I was playing some games so the iPad was probably in landscape mode at some point. I later went back into art rage and it opened up straight away so it was still in memory. My painting was upside down. I hit the button to go to the gallery without saving and in the gallery it was the correct way up. I opened it and everything was fine.

It was almost like while it was running in the background it detected the orientation had changed. I don't know if this is possible though.
    James Hall
    Hallstudios