Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Portrait Of A Turkish Fisherman

Levent! What an amazing story to go with that picture.

I love your comments about this guy, you begin talking about him being different from you, then bringing your brief story around to the parallel of your chosen professions, where you're connected on having to deal with that material level of making a living.

Makes me think that if you scratched the surface, you might be very much alike in many more ways that you hadn't time to explore.

The character you brought to the man, his cryptic, grudging response, it's brilliant, and it says volumes. I can definitely hear a man who looks like this behaving as you described.

You captured it in the portrait. Marvelous.

And, I am amazed that you did this painting from a fairly hasty sketch. He must have made quite an impression on you. And you saw much more than can be seen simply visually. Such depth really helps an artist, I believe.

I like how you have made him where part of his image has become part of the background (environment) of the painting. The colors sorta remind me of certain waters that do not allow for seeing very deeply into the water (unlike the blue waters of the tropics). Very appropriate for a reticent fisherman who has become formed by the sea.

Great job!

all i can say is ... WOW!

fantastic Levent ..you've captured him beautifly well..keep looking at how you did his eyebrows and the fabric of his cap..so convincing i expect he'll move any moment

Selby
    "I like to have a thing suggested rather than told in full. When every detail is given, the mind rests satisfied, and the imagination loses the desire to use its own wings."
    ~Thomas Bailey Aldrich~

Amazing portrait!
    I'm loving this forum folks...
    ©raw painter©

Excellent expressivness in the eyes, man.

The rest of it's not so bad, either. :wink:

Dear dr zeller, Peter Pinckney, Enchanter, Jacktar, Rkngel, Joules, OldLink, Danbo, Andy, D Akey, lalalime, Selby, drakeblake and Adam Black thank you very much for your kind words and comments, if you are happy so I'm happy.
    Dear drakeblake wrote:"I'm loving this forum folks...", yes, I know that, I also am loving this forum folks. Dear danbo wrote:"when do you open your gallery ?", thanks danbo for this. Dear Peter wrote: "I can see every day he has worked written in his eyes! ", your sentence is very well, like a proverb. 8) Dear Rkngel wrote: "You have a piece of personal history now that has a story...you will never forget that mans face. Thats what I love most about art..the ability to preserve and present an instance of your perspective for others to share in.", yes, dear Rkngel our brain works like a photo ( or movie) camera. Dear D Akey wrote. "...you begin talking about him being different from you, then bringing your brief story around to the parallel of your chosen professions, where you're connected on having to deal with that material level of making a living.
    Makes me think that if you scratched the surface, you might be very much alike in many more ways that you hadn't time to explore.
    The character you brought to the man, his cryptic, grudging response, it's brilliant, and it says volumes. I can definitely hear a man who looks like this behaving as you described.",
    again a comment like a book excerpt, from D Akey, 8) thanks again all folks.

The Portrait

Brilliant, and so expressive! I am green with envy!

Ahh love the pink highlight on the nose. Great job in capturing the gloominess of his countenance. This the soul that no camera can capture.

irishrose Guest
    Awesome story... thank you, Levent, for pointing me to this thread... I still see an uncanny resemblance to Sean Connery but maybe because I was in love with him for so long as James Bond. Your story and painting is MUCH better! Thank you, it was an endearing read. xo

Wow. Amazing.