ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Tool size

Tool size

Hi: I would like to suggest that the pop up box does not appear when changing tool size as I find it an unecessary nuisance. I wonder if others agree.

What pop up box are you talking about?
    There's nothing appears when I change the tool's size

It should only be popping up when you tap on it (or click on it with a mouse). Placing and dragging a pen over it should be adjusting it's size without the pop up panel appearing. If it's not acting that way, you may want to check to see if your pen is set up to automatically double click when you touch your screen.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

I find the pop up is pretty sensitive and often find it annoying. A user preference for on of off would be fine with me.
    // "Appreciation fosters well-being. Be well." - Byron
    //
    My ArtRage Paintings Here
    // My Comprehensive AR4 & 3 Thread Here
    64 bit Win8Pro, 16GB Ram, Intel i7 Quad Core - 8 threads; Wacom Intuios 4

The popup is designed not to appear in Studio / Studio pro if you've moved 4 pixels or more while dragging on the tool sizer, or the slider value has been changed by dragging on the tool sizer. If you double click on the tool sizer it will appear, and if you tap without dragging it will appear.

You can additionally change your tool size by holding down the shift key ( or a tablet button mapped to shift ) and dragging your stylus left / right on the canvas, by using the left right arrow keys on your keyboard for 1% increments, or shift + left right arrow keys for 10% increments.

One of our tablets at the office has a worn nib, and has registered double clicks on occasion when it touches the tablet surface. While this is unlikely, always worthwhile checking.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

I do not know if it has been mentioned elsewhere but the tool-resizing is quite performance-intense, i have a pretty old computer and i cannot smoothly resize the tool via Shift+Click+Drag, the cursor size and preview in the tool panel will skip around significantly.

(I should not really try to run a painting simulation type of software on such a slow computer, i know, but i think this could probably be optimized)

Quote Originally Posted by Stalky View Post
    I do not know if it has been mentioned elsewhere but the tool-resizing is quite performance-intense, i have a pretty old computer and i cannot smoothly resize the tool via Shift+Click+Drag, the cursor size and preview in the tool panel will skip around significantly.

(I should not really try to run a painting simulation type of software on such a slow computer, i know, but i think this could probably be optimized)

Hi Stalky,

Closing the Tool panel into it's pod form, may help you out. The program seems to immediately try to render a preview of what the brush stroke will look like in it's preview window. By having the panel closed, the program won't need to render the preview, which may make it smoother when you rescale the tools (at least has for me, when using the water color tool at large percentages).
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Quote Originally Posted by Someonesane View Post
    Hi Stalky,

Closing the Tool panel into it's pod form, may help you out. The program seems to immediately try to render a preview of what the brush stroke will look like in it's preview window. By having the panel closed, the program won't need to render the preview, which may make it smoother when you rescale the tools (at least has for me, when using the water color tool at large percentages).
    Thank you for the advice, incidentally i found out about that just a few minutes ago myself. You are right, the preview rendering of the brush is to blame for this. While i work with my external tablet at home and have a keyboard at hand minimizing that panel is fine because i can just use the hotkeys (which is to be preferred anyway since it is always faster), but sadly that won't do if i use my tablet pc and can no longer use the keyboard, having the panel expanded would save time in that case...

(Considering this it would be a nice option just to turn the preview off and keep the panel if optimization is not an option)