ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: 1.05 crashed while saving

1.05 crashed while saving

I was painting a picture that was coming on really nicely, saving as I went. Since the start of the session it had the memory low icon, but I ignored it (so it's my fault really). I had just finished the final bits, clicked save and art rage exited abruptly.

Upon entering art rage now, the picture just shows up as a picture of monalisa with a big stop symbol through it. I assume it indicates that the file is corrupt. Is there any way of trying to rescue the file ?
    James Hall
    Hallstudios

Hi there,

If the file was damaged due to a crash while saving, there isn't anything you can do to restore it unfortunately. However, I'd recommend that you email us the painting file at support@artrage.com and we can take a look at it to see if there's any information that can be recovered. This may also help us to see at what point the crash occured. You can get the file off your iPad via iTunes under the 'File Sharing' section of the iPad's Apps tab.

If you repeatedly get a low memory warning, it would tend to indicate that memory is pretty much completely full and that could cause the app to be closed by the operating system. In this sort of situation I'd generally recommend saving a new copy as a precaution, but also closing any parked apps which may be using up resources and rebooting your iPad if necessary. In the application help under the 'Memory' section, the section 'What to do when memory is low' gives some useful info on steps you can take to clean out memory. There are also some tips on reducing memory usage which may be useful.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

I have emailed in the ptg file, but I dont think it contains any useful info as its only about 80K.

I have also managed to retrieve the tmp files artrage creates in its tmp folder, some of which are around 20 MB.

Can anything be done with these files. I have tried renaming them to ptg but that didnt work, not that I thought it would LOL. Just wondered if they some how contained my painting information.
    James Hall
    Hallstudios

Unfortunately the tmp files won't contain your old artwork, they're used for undo information. I've received your PTG and we'll take a look at it to see if anything can be recovered. I'll email you back as soon as I have news, thanks for that!
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Thanks for being so helpful.

I shall in future not ignore the memory messages, and I shall also be sure to maybe save a few multiple copies as I go.
    James Hall
    Hallstudios