ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First Landscape new photo added 11-02-11

First Landscape new photo added 11-02-11

My first effort at doing a landscape, be honest I can take it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	first landscape.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	161.4 KB 
ID:	52573  
    Last edited by Saphire; 02-12-2011 at 03:19 PM.

Hi there. I think this is honestly great work, especially for a first try. Trees are particularly challenging for me. I really like the tree line and the sky. The color palette is great too. I get the feeling of a early misty morning or a evening after a rain.

I would only suggest to maybe work the foreground (grassy green area in front of the trees) just a wee bit more... like you have done with the sky. I think it would set those great trees off really well.

If you want more opnions, I would suggest also posting this in the gallery section and asking for advice there. People tend to shy away from this area for some reason. Maybe the word critique is too scary, eh? You will get far more comments and advice in the gallery or after 9. (if it's something kids shouldn't look at)

Again, great stuff. I really hope to see more from you!

Thank you Mags for your encouraging critique

I will play a bit more on the foreground to give more interest. I haven't done any artwork for quite a long time (30years or so) so this is fun. I used to airbrush vehicles for custom shows which was very challenging.

I am now partially sighted so its great to be able to have a go at drawing and painting again without making a mess, I would be lost without my computer and now my Ipad I think I will be spending more time in ArtRage instead of on the net.

30 years and partially sighted? Can I bump my words up to super excellent?

Airbrush was one of those tools I never seemed to quite get a handle on. It always seemed a tempermental tool. Still is for me. I'm mostly a pen/crayon/pencil kid.

Artrage was the thing that brought my art back to me after a fairly long dry spell, too. If I am not doing something in artrage, it's something about artrage or for it, or on the community forums here. hehe.

It is a wonderful program and gives many more options to play with. I most certainly would be lost without my pc, and I am sure if I had an Ipad, I'd be lost without it too. (I'm saving pennies for one of the second versions that is due around April.)

Let me echo Magen's sentiments. This is a very impressive landscape, especially for your first attempt.
    We won't even talk about my first attempt...
    About the only thing I would offer, would be to do a litte
    work with the grass in the foreground. Perhaps mix in
    something to mix up the colors... The glitter tool with a low setting, with a little metallic, and a darker green works well. Sometimes a few leaves, or blown down tree limbs,etc.. works too.
    Other than that, this is really good.
    Looking forward to seeing more from you.
    This community is the best I've ever seen in terms of people being ready to share their experience and knowledge. When I started here about 3 years ago, I was already 61, and had never painted anything other than a fence or a barn with a brush and a ladder and bucket of paint.. Lots of folks around here helped me out, and encouraged me, and I've learned a lot because of it.
    Most of the folks around here know a lot more than I do, but anything I can do to help - just holler.
    My Gallery:

http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/2939
    Deviant Art Gallery:

Thank you barnburner, I will holla! for help when I meed it don't you worry.

I hadn't read your post until now just as I was getting ready to upload with a few extras added as suggested by Mags. I have added a few flowers and a bit more mist.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	first landscape.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	161.4 KB 
ID:	52603  

Very nicely done...
    My Gallery:

http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/2939
    Deviant Art Gallery:

Thank you, I will make this my first Post in the gallery.

I am on my iPad so I don't know how to upload or whether it's possible.

This is great for you first landscape. I can only echo whats been said so far about the foreground grass. The foreground should have more detail than the rest, this will make for greater depth all around. The mist, while a nice touch, doesn't do this. You might try larger grass to help it move closer to the viewer and achieve the depth you might be looking for. Breaking up the color scheme on the grass would help also. The glittery effect you did very well on the trees are the same size on the grass and that limits the depth..............hope this helps.......TJ